Author Topic: Magnifier Lamps, give us a report!  (Read 2884 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Magnifier Lamps, give us a report!
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:45:59 am »
My old magnifier lamp is a cantelever type, and it's rather old, which makes its draw backs obvious.
It is the one with a Flourescent ring light, I haven't had to replace it as yet and don't know how much it will cost or what wattages are available. (I wouldn't mind brighter) The cantelevers are pretty heavy and awkward to position, if the springs loose their tension they tend to sag. Perhaps someone can give us a report on the newer ones with the LED lights, I'm interested in hearing how the ones with the FLEX necks work out. They look like they would be easier to position and much more streamlined.
Let us know what your experiences are. Mine works and I got it cheap at a yard sale, but I would like a better one if it isn't too expensive.

Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
Re: Magnifier Lamps, give us a report!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:59:03 am »
I also have one with the flourescent light and don't know about the LED.  I do have a couple of the head bands with LED lights and don't like them as they leave dark spots.

thumbs

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:28:42 am »
Gabby--I have had a couple of 8 inch florescent bulb type and they have never lasted very long--was at staples about a year ago and they had a 32 led mag light on sale for about $35{?}- I love it-it came with a heavy base and a clamp on holder--works great for me--Richard aka thumbs

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 08:36:43 am »
I have one like you Gabby and it is Ok, but I find the cantilever is awkward for scrolling.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:46:18 am »
Gabby, if the springs weaken, I find stretching heavy rubber bands from one spring end to the other restores the balance of the light.  The rubber bands will break in time but they do work.

I have a Delta 40-690 that came with a flexible lamp.  That lamp has a very limited range of movement and it is not as easy to place "just right".

Good luck in your search and I'll be interested in the results as I'm also thinking of upgrading my light.

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 12:14:15 pm »
Gabby, I have the same as you.  Only problem I ever had with it was ocassonally when a blade broke the arm popped up and broke the flourescent bulb, so I cut a plexiglass ring as a guard and taped it in place.  I did try a led from Rockler once, but it was far too dim for me.  they had a recall & I got my money back.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

stipes

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 01:04:09 pm »
Hey Gabby..
     I dont know if this is what your lookin for , but I got mine from Seyco model SDM-02 It has a 3 and a half dia. 2x's mag. and a separate led light with it, all flex and mounts to the side of my ex-21. It cost $79.95 online, but Ray gave me a good discount on it when I bought my saw. Maybe if you like it call him and see what he can do for you on the price, it never hurts to ask...
    I like the flex type really good, now this type wouldnt work on the old Craftsman I had cause of all the feedback from the vibs. The Craftsman I had came with a flex light on it and I couldnt use it from the vibs. and would mess with my eyes.
     I'll post a pic. in the gallery and you can see my view. Good luck on your search.

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 01:06:31 pm »
Gabby, when I bought my EX21 I also bought the magnifier light from Seyco along with it. That was before the new one they offer with a separate light and magnifier.  I had always used the larger fluorescent units like you described before, and was unsure about a lamp using LED's, a gooseneck, and a smaller magnifier.  I love the new one.  The LED's are bright and the light they emit is whiter, making it easier to see.  The smaller magnifier is better because there is less mass in my way, and the flex holds it all where I want it without changing or sagging and with no vibration transmitted.  It also has a "flip cap" to cover the magnifier when I'm not scrolling, keeping it clean and unharmed.  Yes, it cost about double of the old style, but it is worth every penny.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 01:58:18 pm »
i got the same as you Gabby, i was looking at getting this one bit pricey, any feed back from anyone that as one of them would be greatly appreciated
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21264

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

thumbs

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 03:37:41 pm »
Todd, I have this one and it isn't worth the money--I bought it as a set of 2 lights for less that what was listed--the magnet just wasn't strong enough--I now use the mag light on my band saw--JMHO--Richard aka thumbs

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 09:48:47 am »
Newfie.  I got that one from Rockler... tried it, put it back in the box ....now just need to get around to selling it.  Make me an offer  ;D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 11:11:20 am »
is it that bad?? :(
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:13:19 am by newfie »

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 11:40:16 am »
No it is everything is is supposed to be.  It is just that my eyes are so screwed up that I can't use any magnifier at all. The magnet is really powerful so it STAYS.  I had a heck of a time getting it off.  But then I am just an old weak woman with a dead right hand. ;D :D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 05:30:30 am »
i got the same as you Gabby, i was looking at getting this one bit pricey, any feed back from anyone that as one of them would be greatly appreciated
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21264

I liked the look of this light / Mag, the price puts me off though, I'm looking for something in the 25 to 35 dollar range. I looked at the large photos of this one and noticed the lights didn't seem to be all that bright.
Im glad people are chimeing in on this I started the topic for everyone who is interested and anyone who has information, so don't be shy if you know something let's hear from you.

Here is a link to a page with various models and prices.
http://www.nextag.com/light-magnifying-work/shop-html
Some look pretty interesting, and there are cheap ones so you can try it out without breaking the bank. I'll be looking at them closer later I'm up too late as it is. G'night all
Gabby
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 06:06:42 am by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 02:05:01 pm »
Judy what will you want for yours?
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

SMF

Teknoromi