Author Topic: My Biggest Goof Yet. Help  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
My Biggest Goof Yet. Help
« on: April 17, 2012, 07:47:38 pm »
I have been making Steve's hummingbird clock for my daughter's birthdays and was spraying the clear finish on one today and noticed I glued one of the sides on upside down. The finish is 50/50 BLO/Mineral Spirits. I know in the past on one occasion I had glued a piece and caught it before I finished it and was able to put it in the microwave and take it apart. I am hesitant to do that in this case with the BLO/Mineral Spirits and clear spray on it. Anyone have any advise or do I just have a unique piece of firewood?
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: My Biggest Goof Yet. Help
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:29:53 pm »
Hey Gary, How much time do you have? I don't know what will happen if you microwave it after you have applied your finish, but I don't think good things will happen! :o You will either have to give it to your daughter as is or if you have time start over unless you can cut out the panel and re-cut it.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:38:40 pm »
I think you are right Dan, I'm not putting heat on it. Several web sites suggest white vinegar, I might give it a try I have nothing to lose. I'll let you know how it works out.
Gary

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 11:44:12 pm »
What kind of glue?  You might try cautious application of a heat gun, raising the temp slowly so as not to blister the finish.  Anyway if you get the part off and only damage the finish, you can re-apply the finish more easily than making a new part.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 10:04:52 am »
Can the goof add "character" to the finished clock, or are you the only one who will notice? If yes to either you might be able to leave it.
What type of glue did you use. Some times a hair dryer is just the right amount of heat. Otherwise sometimes you can use a knife or thin saw and cut the pieces apart.

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:47:52 am »
Well I have using a combination of vinegar and hair dryer and don't have it free yet but will continue to work. My wife also suggests just giving it as it is but the upside down hummingbird is just to obvious in my opinion. I'll keep you posted and appreciate your comments.
Gary

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:24:13 pm »
Well my resolution to the problem was to give it the way it was. I couldn't free the piece and my wife suggested, as did one of you that it probably wouldn't be something someone would notice. Her point was that if you get down to where you are spraying the clear finish on it before you notice it that someone else would probably not notice it at all. Thanks as always for all of your comments they are much appreciated.
Gary

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 10:52:09 pm »
I can solve the problem.  Just turn the other side upside down.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

SMF

Teknoromi