Author Topic: Safety  (Read 1276 times)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Safety
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:00:53 pm »
Another thing on safety.
If you smoke PLEASE wear a dust mask, I have several and the best I find for dust protection is the "dust be gone" it is made in USA and while it is not cheap it is the best around, it is light wont fog glasses and is washable, it comes in 3 sizes, also your hearing is important if you have noisy machinary.
Think about a few dollars is cheaper than the doctors bills
Jimbo

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Safety
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:13:25 pm »
But Jimbo....It is hard to get the face mask on over my cigarettes or cigars!

Seriously EVERYONE should wear a dust mask!!! Especially if cutting MDF or some of the exotic woods!

And ear muffs!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

cherie

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:31:15 am »
Dust masks are something to get used to.  I had to wear one with safety glasses at the factory and I hated it.  However at home, I do wear the safety glasses when I am sanding closeup on ornaments or using the lathe (which is not very much at the moment).  As for hearing, well I lost mine a very long time ago so I guess that is why the music gets louder and louder for me.  Even when I mow the yard, I have my MP3 player turned all the way up.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 07:08:23 am »
Don't need no stinking dust mask for my scrollsaw. LOLOL. Have a dust exhaust system I designed for my saw. Shop and me dust free.  ::)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

dankc908

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 07:24:46 am »
I've been getting into the habit of wearing the dust mask MOST of the time.  Since I quit smoking 5.5 years ago my cigarettes do not interfere with the dust mask!

Dan

Dawie

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 03:57:56 pm »
Like Russ my saw has an exhaust system, I just hook up the vacuum and away goes the dust. Super. But I agree it is beter to wear a duskmask but I hate them so am happy to have the vacuum work overtime.
David

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 06:08:12 pm »
Scroll sawing is not as bad as wood turning when power sanding but there is also a far bit os sanding in some scroll work.
It is up to the idividual I also have all the dust extractors but when power sanding I wear a mask, I have seen some very sick people that have breathed wood and other toxic dusts not nice.
Jimbo
I don't wear one when cutting as I also use a vac that takes away most of the bad stuff
JP

SMF

Teknoromi