Author Topic: practice pattern  (Read 1721 times)

konafiend

practice pattern
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:00:11 pm »
Anyone have a practice pattern they would like to share? 

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: practice pattern (sorry off topic)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 02:20:57 pm »
I like your handle!  Ever had any coffee from the Kauai coffee company?  We visited the plantation while in Kauai and sampled the different roasts.  Their peaberry is hands down the best coffee I ever tasted.  Too bad the freight is so expensive!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: practice pattern
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 04:39:49 pm »
Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) did a great series of lessons at Lumgerjocks.com.

The part 3has a practice pattern.

It is well worth watching the videos even if just a reminder of good techique.

http://lumberjocks.com/scrollgirl/blog/series/4134

Steve did a good series on basics too but I don't remember if he had a test pattern.

Don

konafiend

Re: practice pattern - COFFEE!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:42:17 am »
Bill,
Try Melitta World Harvest Lawa'i Estate Coffee in 10 oz. bag. I found it in Waldbaums supermarket. Also, I get Kona from BJ's Price Club for about $18 for a pound and a half. Coffee is the nectar of the gods!

Gene

konafiend

Re: practice pattern - blade suddenly cuts through wood and stops
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:39:29 am »
Don,

Thanks for the info. I see some interesting tutorials there tha my prove helpful.

Sometimes when I am cutting the blade doesn't seem to cut then suddenly jumps through the wood. These are tiny distances but can mess me up. It can cause a chatter when done enough times in a row. Last night I was cutting 1/4" maple with a #5 olson blade with a few reverse teeth on the bottom when it was happening. New blade, turned down the speed to #2 on a dewalt dw788 version 1 , checked that blade was perpendicular with the deck in all directions. The saw is bolted down to a table that is about 200 lbs. It happened less when I turned down the speed but I think there has to be something else I am doing wrong.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 11:28:47 am »
Hey Don, As a scroll saw instructor, I start my beginner students with regular skip tooth blades. The reverse tooth blades require that you hold down the workpiece firmly to the table. Get used to the saw and cutting first, then try other blades. Actually cutting at a slow speed can cause the blade to catch the wood, and cause the wood to bounce on the table. I usually set the speed on the saw at about 4 on the Dewalt saw (about 1100 spm) for beginners, then they can adjust accordingly from there.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: practice pattern - blade suddenly cuts through wood and stops
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 12:59:40 am »
Don,

Thanks for the info. I see some interesting tutorials there tha my prove helpful.

Sometimes when I am cutting the blade doesn't seem to cut then suddenly jumps through the wood. These are tiny distances but can mess me up. It can cause a chatter when done enough times in a row. Last night I was cutting 1/4" maple with a #5 olson blade with a few reverse teeth on the bottom when it was happening. New blade, turned down the speed to #2 on a dewalt dw788 version 1 , checked that blade was perpendicular with the deck in all directions. The saw is bolted down to a table that is about 200 lbs. It happened less when I turned down the speed but I think there has to be something else I am doing wrong.

KONA Coffee is Yummy, That being said.

I suspect you are using a dull blade and trying to force it. When it hits the soft part of the grain it can skip forward, I'm thinking too you don't have your blade tension tight enough you barely want 1/16" total of play from side to side with finger tip pressure. If you find you are PUSHING the material rather than guiding it change the blade and try again.
I hope this helps.
Gimpy Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:05:05 am »
I would agree with Gabby, you are likely pushing the wood too hard.
You might also not have enough tension on the blade. When set correctly it should really ring when plucked like a guitar string. I believe many can be tuned to a high C, if you have musical talent. I also believe that Steve (or someone on the net) has a demonstration where you can listen for the right tension.
In my high school shop it can get really loud. My students look at me funny when they complain that the scroll saw isn't cutting right and I stick my ear right next to it to check for the tension. It is a different brand then I have so it feels a bit different, I have to listen to it. 

SMF

Teknoromi