Author Topic: Recommendations for a band saw  (Read 4153 times)

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Recommendations for a band saw
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 02:15:54 pm »
Judy,  If I were replacing my tires I would replace both at the same time.  When you adjust the angle of the top wheel to achieve the tracking of the blade on the tire, you want the blade centered on the tire.  Where the blade sits in relation to the crown on the wheel can affect how much drift you get when cutting.  If you need it I think I can mail you a cd with a video on setting up a bandsaw.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 04:33:00 pm »
All this time I thought I knew how to use my band saw...........wrong!  If at all possible, and not to much trouble,  I would like to see the cd on the bandsaw. I am never too old (surprising as that might seem) to learn. 
I'm from North Dakota

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 04:41:02 pm »
I run the whole blade on the tire, just make sure the blade is not rubbing against the back bearing top and bottom, also the blade guides they should be 2 sheets of paper away from the blade top and bottom as well, if you use the same size blade all the time the settings don.t change,
Jimbo

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 06:50:16 pm »
My thanks to all of you for your responses re a band saw.  It appears that a 14" saw with a riser block is the was to go.  Have to confess the cost will be a bit higher than I hoped, but do know you get what you pay for, and I have strong feelings about that.  I'll continue watching the local Craigslist, but most of what I see are the smaller, and generally more inferior saws.  But that's probably why they're for sale!
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 07:10:31 pm »
Ok.....?? what is a riser block? what is the purpose of it?  I want to start doing some bandsaw boxes but guess I better study up a bit.  Thanks Cousin :D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 07:21:07 pm »
Hey Judy, Most 14" band saws have a resaw capacity of about 6" or so. Most of the manufactures sell a "riser block" specifically for their saw. It raises the top part of the saw so you have a resaw capacity of about 12". This also means that you need to get longer blades to work with the saw.
You can only get riser blocks for specific saws.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 08:07:42 pm »
Thanks Dan for the info on what is a riser block.  Kind of understand it, but if using a table bench band saw (delta 9") which only has a length upwards of maybe 4" and I do the riser block thing there will be way to much blade with no good support for a straight cut top and bottom????  Are all you that know a lot using the HUGE type of band saws?  I'm just chiming in as I have a question....
Bought NEW tires and yepper was a struggle getting them on, but Yea finally they are on....  Old and New tires do the same thing.  TRACKING....  In order to keep the blade spinning good I have to set the TOP blade on the tire at the REAR of the tire and the bottom TIRE to the front.  So whats wore out?  LOL
                                                                Danny  :+}

Offline tas2181

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 08:48:58 pm »
Danny,
I do believe that the riser blocks are available only on the larger bandsaws as the smaller bandsaws would be under powered to resaw anything over whatever the height capacity is of the saw.
As to the blade running on the front of one tire and the rear of the other, it sounds like the tire wheels are not aligned with on another (not coplaner). If you can get the blade to run consistent and track correctly the way it is, ( without the blade sliding off the wheel) you can shim one of the wheels to line them up.
I have a Grizzly G0555. The manual that came with it explains how to do it and check it. You may wish to download the manual for one of the Grizzly saws, as after the instructions for saw assembly and setup, it has a lot of good tips and troubleshooting for bandsaws in general.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 08:34:52 am »
Thanks Taz....  Think I will try and remove one of the wheels and just see if I can shim it.  Just Love this forum.  Everyone is so helpful....  Danny  :+}

SMF

Teknoromi