Author Topic: unwanted E-mail  (Read 1179 times)

Offline jeff44

• View Profile
unwanted E-mail
« on: March 31, 2012, 09:13:49 am »
Has anyone had some new unwanted E-mail?  I have just in the last couple of days started getting some e-mails from some kind of a Harry Potter group.  They had address me with my scroll saw log in "Jeff44".  I only use that log in for this site.  I thought I had better ask to see if anyone else has had a similar problem, and warn you about it.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: unwanted E-mail
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:11:42 am »
I have suspected we have had a mole on the forum but have never been able to prove it. If I ever find him/them they will be banned. There are other possibilities on how they got it, but it is a little suspicious.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 11:49:04 am »
As of now, I have not. But I will keep an eye on it.
Just remember, never open an attachment from someone you don't know, but just don't open emails that you don't want. Most email servers will allow you to set filters to dump them in a junk file.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 11:54:57 am »
I totally agree with Dan's comments!
You have no idea how many I get each day that never get opened...

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 12:35:26 pm »
I have essentially completely solved the spam email problem, at least to my satisfaction.  I use Mailwasher to screen the messages while they are still at my ISP.  If it looks suspicious, I can delete it at the ISP, without having to download it to my computer.  I can even look at the text portions to be sure.

http://www.mailwasher.net/ has a free version that works just fine.  I use the paid version as I have two email addresses and only the paid version checks multiple addresses.

I have been using the program and recommend you try it.  As far as I know it works with the majority of the email programs out there - check the web site for more details, and as with any program you might want to install on your computer, do some research to see others comments on the program before downloading it.

Good luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 01:17:31 pm »
I haven't had any yet either, but I fully agree with Dan too, don't open it just delete it.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline jeff44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 01:45:59 pm »
Thanks for all of the information.  I have a spam block on my computer and once I tell it that the address is spam, it blocks all e-mail from that address, but I will check out the other suggestions.  Thanks again.

SMF

Teknoromi