Author Topic: spray on lacquer and polyeurathane  (Read 1604 times)

Spartan scroller

spray on lacquer and polyeurathane
« on: May 26, 2010, 07:02:27 am »
I like to finish my word art projects with spray on lacquer or polyeurathane but I have been having a problem with the nozzels plugging up rendering sometimes as much as half a can useless.  Have tried pulling the button off and soaking it in mineral spirits but it doesn't seem to work.  Any Ideas.

Terry

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
Re: spray on lacquer and polyeurathane
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 07:39:06 am »
hi,
you may wanna try this after youre through using the spray, hold the can upside down and spray until its clear of the product, it seems to work for me.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: spray on lacquer and polyurethane
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 07:55:18 am »
Holding the can upside down and spraying until its clear of the product as
MadHatter suggested is a good idea and I believe it is a manufacture recommendation. Or keep a small amount of mineral spirits in a cup, remove the nozzle and soak it immediately after use. Now that it is clogged try removing it and soaking it in lacquer thinner or paint remover. You might have to use a clean nozzle from another can to get the remainder out of the one can. Just make sure you clean that one or you'll end up with two half full cans. LOL.
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Dawie

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 10:16:25 am »
I'm with Madhatter, holding the can upside down and spraying the nozzle clear works for me.
David.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 03:08:13 pm »
Another good idea is to WIPE any residue off the nozzle before that upside down clearing and then again carefully AFTERwards.
My habit...especially with 3M #77!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 04:55:20 pm »
I'm with Russ, never failed a can yet, as said after use don't even turn upside down, (waste of product) and place said nozzle in small amount of turps until next use.

merlin
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 10:59:00 pm »
I use the upside down trick but am scared of running out of pressure the soaking in turps sounds like a better option, thanks Merlin
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi