Author Topic: After Portrait  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
After Portrait
« on: March 18, 2012, 10:21:13 pm »
Ok after the portrait is done.If using baltic birch plywood, what do I?Stain it dip it?Then comes the backer right?I read  some people attach cardboard to it or felt or a painted backerboard.What seems to work best.If I used 1/4 and would like to frame it would I still attach a backerboard and would it fit in a frame?I know alot of questions, but any help will still be greatly appreciated...Dave

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: After Portrait
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 11:04:06 pm »
Hey Dave, This is what I do. First, I make my own frames so I don't have to fit the portrait to the frame. I prefer a wood backer, so I usually use stained red oak plywood pannels. I don't like to stain the Baltic birch but rather use the boiled linseed oil mix. If you are buying a frame, you need to mesure the thickness of the portrait and backer board, and make sure the rabbit in the frame is thick enough. I dont use glass in the frame, I like the portrait to be exposed.
This is how I do it, others will come on and explaine how they do it. Just pick what sounds good to you!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:09:13 am »
Reaper,
There is no "BEST" way to do anything like that. Do what ever strikes you to try. That is the best thing about any "ART" it can vary from person to person and there are more ways and ideas to use than grains of sand on the beach.
If you stack cut a pattern (say you have three of the items) you have three chances to try different methods to see what YOU like best. Then in the future you have a better idea of what you like or don't like about the different methods.
For me, most of the fun of wood working is trying different things and ideas. That is why I have made about 20 small boxes that were not intended to do anything special or go to anyone in particular. It was just the fun of trying different joints or lids or finishes or inlays or woods or........

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 11:31:30 am »
Just like Dan and Roger said, the choice is yours. I frame mine because I like it to look finished. I want to start using rough-cut boards with some bark on them to do some portraits. I think when they are finished, they look great. I almost always use a backer (felt or painted plywood). Also, I use to use 1/4" ply for the portraits, but found it easier to frame when using 1/8". And, I can stack more that way.

Have fun trying all the different suggestions.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline crupiea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 03:47:34 pm »
I lay out the piece on the baltic birch.  Then I put the piece onto another piece of backer material, I use 1/8" luan.

I cut out around the edge to make the frame as a part of this. 

So now i have a border that i use for a frame and an exact size backer board.

i set those 2 aside and cut the picture out and glue it all together to the luan when done.

this way i dont need to buy frames of have the item cut to frame size.  i can cut it whatever size i think seems right.

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 10:33:48 pm »
Ok guys thanks for all the info.I do have three copies since I stacked three.I will try them out.Dave

SMF

Teknoromi