Author Topic: Wood turning Lay  (Read 3614 times)

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
Wood turning Lay
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:31:14 pm »
Hi everyone,
I just bought a wood turning lay, floor stand, and several tools to go along with it for $50.00.  It's a older one but still woorks great.  Can anyone tell me is there some youtube videos out there that can help me get started with this thing?  Thanks.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Wood turning Lay
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:37:15 pm »
Gene, you will find lots of wood turning videos on YouTube. Or just do a Google search.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:09:19 pm »
Actually Gene, Wood turning is more popular than scrolling. You are more apt to find a turner in your area than a scroller. See if there is a wood turning club in your area and see if someone would be willing to show you the ropes. Otherwise just go on YouTube and do a search. You will find hundreds of videos!
One warning though, Turning is addictive!
Dan In Southern California

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 02:44:51 am »
Get proper tuition, lathes are dangerous if not used properly, ensure you have plenty of ventilation or dust extraction, also have plenty of wood
Jimbo

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 06:02:14 am »
As previously said, Lathes can be dangerous, but also great fun. I would recommend looking online for your nearest club, like this forum,they have members who have the knowledge and are more than willing to share it. My own woodturning club has 76 members all of varying degrees of ability from the complete beginner to the professional turners. The club, like most others holds training nights once a month where the beginners get hands on training on a 1 to 1 basis on the use of the tools and turning techniques. They will also teach you the safest way to use the tools and mount the wood without it flying off at you, and also the other little things that make so much difference to your work like correct sharpening methods for your chisels.
Sorry if I went on a bit, but hope this helps you.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 12:10:32 am »
Thasnks everyone for the help and the advise.  I plan on sarting to turn on Monday.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 01:54:46 am »
Gene
You didn't tell us what kind of lathe you bought for $50, I sure hope it isn't one of those Harbor Freight POS they will get you hurt! They work at higher spindle speeds and being able to really slow it down is important. Do a lot of research before you let fly, your local library should have books to check out.
Turning is MORE DANGEROUS than scrolling, I nearly blinded myself when I was first starting out with a cheap flimsy HF POS, so I know what I'm talking about. I ended up with a great little JET lathe and it was worth the money. Wish I had power to my shop I'd still be making bowls. (that's another story!)
Be careful Gene I don't want to be the one to say I told you so!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

stipes

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 03:55:00 pm »
Just becarefull my friend. There is a pic. of this dude that got wrapped up in a metal lathe in Australia that got passed down and brother it isnt pretty. Dont ever wear anything that will grab, like long sleeve shirts, long hair,gloves, ect.
    Like Gabby said turning is alot more dangerous. A lathe and a drill press will mess your world up in a second.
     Do they have a Woodcraft store in your area? They give alot of lathe demo's in the Lexington, Ky. store, and it's about 45 mins away, but with me and lathes, LOL!! I usally on a metal lathe everynight. But lets get back to the new generation of wood lathes..
     I seen the nova chucks for bowl turning, and man,, thats the cats meow to me when you can chuck up a piece of wood without doing the old school way.. Looks alot safe in turnin between centers too and not worryin in a piece will fly off and smack ya between the eyes..
      Have fun but please be safe....

SMF

Teknoromi