Author Topic: Scroll Saw Table Scratches  (Read 7208 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Scroll Saw Table Scratches
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:12:01 am »
I have an Ex 21 and the table, after about a month, has more scratches than I expected. I have used paste wax on it, pretty heavy. Any advice?

Tony,aka, toneman

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Scroll Saw Table Scratches
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:29:15 am »
I feel your pain!  I got a new Ex21 about a year ago and picked it up at a woodworking show where I demonstrated.  Lots of people used it throughout the show and subsequent classes and it has some scratches on it.  Dummy me tried to clean it with steel wool, never having a powder coated surface before and I made a boo-boo that looks worse than the original scratches. :(   (I am, after all blonde!)  I am also interested at seeing what others use on powder coated surfaces like this to minimize scratches.  While they don't affect the performance, they don't really look great.  Sometimes when scrolling, we just can't help getting the table scratched, I suppose.

Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 04:50:22 pm »
I found this web site (NZ) about power coated surfaces, hope it helps a bit.
http://www.duluxpowdercoatings.co.nz/use_care_files/Use&CareBroc.pdf

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline bhenr99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 06:56:28 pm »
Put a piece of formica with double stick tape on top of your table. I have done this for years.

Bob

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:50:06 am »
Some time ago I posted a note about wanting to protect the finish on my NEW EX21. Some people said not to worry as it will not be damaged through use. But I am seeing wear on the surface. One idea I had would be to buy a piece of magnetic strip wide enough to cover the entire top. You could even customize the hole for the blade to make it near O clearance. Has anyone tried this?  Also the magnetic strip would eliminate the need to use double sided tape and can be removed easily and replaced as often as needed. It also has a finish that is fairly slippery and can be waxed.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:02:56 am »
That sounds interesting!
My DeWalt is fine during the cooler months but in the heat of the summer while working in the garage I perspire (sweat) heavily and the moisture from my hands and wrists eats the paste wax off the top and I have to clean and re-wax frequently.
This sounds like a solution.
I have considered having the table Teflon coated but don't want to go thru the expense with the possibility of upgrading to a new saw in the not too distant future.
Let us know if you decide to try this and where you obtain the magnetic sheeting.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 11:07:20 am »
Thanks, Merlin.  I wish they had those kits here. :(   I like the idea Bob and Cdrover about the overlay.  I love Rare Earth magnets.  They are available at Lee Valley Tools and lots of other places (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=42348&cat=1,42363)
They are really small and thin and hold like the dickens.  I may give that a try on mine.  Only thing you have to be careful about not having the material too thick if you use reverse tooth blades (which I do a lot).  The bottom teeth will not be able to come up enough to be effective if it is too thick.

Sheila :)  
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 02:47:14 pm »
Shiela, if you use flying dutchman ultra reverse then every 3rd tooth is reversed, not only do they cut nicely and leave smooth finish, it wouldnt matter if the material is slightly thicker.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:50:24 pm by Keefie »
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 05:23:11 pm »
I have had my EX 21 for 2 years now and there is lots of scratches on the table but I don't worry about them as it does not affect the cutting in any way, I have never cleaned the table [ apart from dusting] or waxed it, it is as I received it
Jimbo

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 07:26:06 pm »
I am using a DeWalt and I wax and buff about every two weeks.  Lots of "marks" on the table, but not what I would call scratches.  At least I can't get a fingernail to catch in the marks.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline maritimer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 09:00:45 pm »
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the EX table scratching.  I've only had my saw 4 months and a couple weeks ago scratches started while I was cutting.  I checked the bottom of the board thinking something must be under it but it was clean.  Scratches I can live with (happened with the Dewalt too) but now the finish is coming off in spots.  Looks bad and you can feel the metal in the black areas. I called the dealer where I bought it and sent pics.  Waiting to hear what they have to say and/or will do.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 10:17:45 pm »
  i took a piece of formica & attached to my 788 with contac cement, sanded the edges to get rid
 of rough spots. when i sweat on it, i just wipe it off. no worry about rust

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 08:45:41 am »
maritimer, Let us know what they say and do.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

ShadowB6

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 09:49:50 am »
Yes, my EX21 has started to develop scratches also. The way I look at it, they lend to the character of the saw.

Offline maritimer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 04:22:43 pm »
tvman44, I sure will.  I talked to them today but the General rep. is on vacation (in the Bahamas...poor guy, I feel his pain! haha).  Anyhow, it will be interesting to see what they say and I will keep you all posted.

SMF

Teknoromi