Author Topic: Joining wood panels  (Read 1247 times)

malc

Joining wood panels
« on: March 14, 2012, 05:11:51 am »
I want to cut Steve's prancing horse pattern from walnut and mahogany but my hobby shop only sells panels 4 inches wide what methods do you guys use to join two together? I will be using 1/4 inch thick panels.
Malc

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
Re: Joining wood panels
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 03:16:50 pm »
Personally I'd find a better wood supplier...barring that I'd use a half-lap joint
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 04:04:05 pm »
I've successfully edge glued boards down to 1/4" thick to make wider panels.  Your edges need to be perfectly square, so that the piece remains flat when glued.  Also, don't overdo it with clamping pressure, or you will bow the panel.  Take care to match up the grain as best you can and be sure to get the edges flush.  You can use clamping cauls to help hold everything flat until the glue dries. Done well, a panel glue-up from multiple boards can be indistinguishable from a solid panel.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 04:16:24 pm »
Hey Malc, I do glue up narrow board to make wider ones. You need several clamps that are wide enough to span the width of the boards. The glue edges need to be perfectly flat or straight, otherwise you will have a visible gap in the final board. If you have parallel clamps such as Bessey's, you can glue the panel directly onto the clamps. Apply a thin layer to each joint then tighten the clamp jut tight enough to get just a little squeeze out. You may want to use smaller clamps to clamp the panel to the Besseys so it will stay flat while the glue dries.
If you don't have the parallel clamp, Lay down some waxed paper onto the work area. Apply the glue as above, then clamp the panel up flat on the waxed paper them clamp. Use some weights or brick to keep the panel flat while it dries.
After about 10 minutes, scrape off the glue before it fully cures. That way you wont have to scrape off dried glue.
Good luck!
Dan In Southern California

Mainewoods

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:33:18 pm »
Malc, if you want to avoid the glue ups (I don't own a jointer, so I don't even try them), Ocooch sells walnut and mahogany in up to 12" widths (along with many other species), down to 1/8" thicknesses.  Just an option for ya!

Glen

alien11

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:15:10 pm »
Hi Malc:

What you need to do is what luthiers do. Gluing up thin narrow pieces to get a front and back for a stringed instrument is one of their specialities. Check out the video in the link. The key to the process is the "tenting" of the boards in the middle.

Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W3EW7gqGVM

SMF

Teknoromi