Author Topic: Lemon Oil  (Read 2944 times)

Graywolf

Lemon Oil
« on: March 10, 2012, 10:58:14 am »
I have read post that say use Lemon Oil for finishing. I read several post that said use Lem oil furniture polish. I have tried every where to find it. All I can find is spray cans??? I have been to wally world (which I hate); Target among other places. I can not find a bottle of Lemon Oil???? Where do I get it?

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon Oil
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:05:23 am »
Go to the house cleaning supplies in any grocery store. It will be among the furniture polishing items.
I found mine in an Ace hardware store even.  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:19:41 am »
just remember that lemon oil never fully cures, so you need to put a top coat of something over the top.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 11:26:22 am »
Hey Graywolf, Be aware that lemon oil never really dries. If you have a garage or a workshop, I recommend using a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. As with any oil, this will bring out the natural color of the wood and enhance the grain, but is not a final finish. After it dries, you can apply a top coat. I use Deft semi gloss spray lacquer. If you choose the linseed oil mix, let us know and we will explain the procedure.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 02:56:07 pm »
Interesting.   I recently heard about using Lemon Oil as well, but was not aware it does not dry.

Thanks for the heads up.

Would spray poly be okay after the Lemon Oil?

Good topic to bring up Graywolf.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 04:27:44 pm »
spray poly is fine as a top coat.

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 09:49:58 pm »
I agree with Dan.  I followed his suggestions and am very happy with the results.  Even after multiple coats of lacquer,  I still couldn't get what I wanted from lemon oil.       
MOONIE

Graywolf

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 02:42:14 pm »
Thanks sgman and mrsn, I didn't relize that Lemon Oil didn't dry. Before  started scrolling I always used stain and poly on my projects, which I really like. I don't know if I will use the Lemon Oil or not, but thanks for the input.
 :-\

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 03:19:28 pm »
A brand we get here is called Murphy's oil, it comes in lemon and orange. My wife uses it twice a year to clean and shine her kitchen cupboard  doors. I have never tried it on my pieces but it does leave a nice shine and smells good tooo. ;D
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Graywolf

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 05:02:22 pm »
Thaks cdrover. I never thought about Murphy's oil. I may just try that.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 01:37:09 am »
Dan can you give me the procedure for the linseed oil mix please?

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 09:54:21 am »
Sure Marg, I'll write it up a little latter today. I'm a slow typer and I need to get some other things done first!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:09:06 pm by dgman »

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 04:22:38 pm »
Quite frankly, I've never quite understood the attraction of lemon oil as a finish.  I realize that there are a number of folks out there that use it successfully, but like Dan, I prefer boiled linseed oil.  I've tried reading up on it, to see what it is that I'm missing.  Not a lot of info out there and some of what is out there can be misleading and contradictory.  I'm just not sure what benefits lemon oil brings to the party.

Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 04:33:00 pm »
Hey Bill, Our fearless leader Steve Good uses and recommends lemon oil. That's why you hear a lot about it here.

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 08:34:05 pm »
Hey Bill, Our fearless leader Steve Good uses and recommends lemon oil. That's why you hear a lot about it here.

Yes, I was aware of that.  I had read some of Steve's blog entries regarding his use of lemon oil.  I came away with the impression that other then liking the way it looked, even he didn't make a really strong case for using it.

I think part of the problem is defining just what lemon oil is.  Some folks tend to get it mixed up with things like Lemon Pledge or other products that contain stuff like silicone and petroleum distillates and aren't really finishes at all, just a temporary polish.  I'm skeptical of products that have lemon oil in their name but may or may not actually contain any real lemon oil.  Finishing manufacturers engage in misleading marketing all the time.  Just like with those products called tung oil finishes that contain no actual tung oil.  I'm a firm believer that people should have an understanding of the finishes they use on their projects, the benefits and the limitations.  At the very least, it helps avoid disappointment and perhaps might prevent us from ruining a project.

I'm not against using it( if I understood what "it" was) and certainly don't want to come off as being critical of anyone who does.  I'm always interested in learning of new finish products and techniques.  I first heard of lemon oil from a couple folks in my scroll saw club and when I asked them about it, they pointed me to this site, saying Steve used it.  Then I read a number of posts and Steve's blog entries, but was still left wanting more definitive information.  I did some of my own research on the web as well as in a couple highly regarded finishing books by Jewitt and Flexner.  I can't say I've found much of anything that makes a strong case for it.

I apologize for the long-winded response and I'm sorry if I've offended any lemon oil proponents.  I'll listen to anyone who wants to defend it and am quite willing to be taken to school, if someone can just explain it to me.   ;)
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

SMF

Teknoromi