Author Topic: Clubs  (Read 3973 times)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Clubs
« on: May 24, 2010, 03:10:11 am »
How many members of this Scrollsaw Workshop belong to wood crafters clubs?
If so how many meeting do you have a month and are they about your woodcrafting hobby?
I belong to a woodcrafters guild in New Zealand and some times wonder if it is worth it, we meet once a month and the speakers we have range from steam engines to traveling the world, not a lot about the craft that interests me.
Lets know what you all think.
I have had more feed back on the few topics I have posted in the last 3 week than in the 7 years I have been a member of my club
Jimbo

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Re: Clubs
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 06:52:33 am »
Jimbo, hi and if a bit late welcome.
I'm from NZ via Foxton.
I belonged to the Manawatu Woodworker Guild in Palmerston North for a couple of years and yes like you found the internet more valuable to me than the guild.
I think the guild I was with was a bit stuck in the old ways, do',t get me wrong it's just that there was a small group of about 6 people that was interested in scrolling.
And seeing as I had to travel once a month to the meeting and not get FA out of the evening it was a bit of a waste for me.

But as a guild in wood work it was great.

Merlin

Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

cherie

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 07:34:32 am »
There are none in my area.  If there was you can bet I would be there.

dankc908

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 07:48:12 am »
There are none in my area.  If there was you can bet I would be there.

Same situation here!  I have tried to get some enthusiasm for a group and the level of interest just isn't there to support such a venture.

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 08:15:56 am »
none in my town that i know of.  :(

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:23:52 am »
In the Kansas City Missouri area there a number of woodworking groups. Two woodworkers guilds, turning groups. Did belong to one of the woodworkers guilds, but they were doing big work, furniture and discussing french polishing. Interesting, but not a lot of use to me. I belonged about a year. They had great raffles though.
There are quite a few scrollers around, but loners, with no interest in a club.
Every couple of months I drive over three hours to Branson MO to a scrollsaw club. Nice size club with programs on different elements of scrolling.
But, the drive is getting harder.
If you know other scrollers in your area, try getting together every once in a while for coffee, or anything else, and maybe you could end up with a club, help and learn from each other.
Pat B
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:22:53 am by mainberg »

cherie

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 10:25:13 am »
Branson is too far for me to drive and KC, well the furniture doe not sound to interesting for me...maybe for Jaun but not me.

Dan

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 10:28:06 am »
Just joined the Inland Empire ScrollSaw Association in Fontana California. Have been to one meeting, and a combined Picnic with other clubs. There seem to be mostly Scrollers and people who Turn also. The club makes toys for kids as a service to the comm. The meeting I went to there was a class on cutting coins.\

Dan

Marshall

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 10:43:05 am »
None in my neck of the woods either .............Marshall

Joesawdust

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 11:01:38 am »
The closest one to me is a 3 hour drive each way, so no I'm not.

Greg

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 03:07:27 pm »
I haven't heard of any clubs here in Central Florida.  :(
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

JCoff

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 03:36:28 pm »
 Why is it we scrollers seem to get along great on the boards but not with the other scrollers in our communities?               Hmmmmmmmmm makes ya wonder

Jeff

Dawie

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 04:39:29 pm »
Which other scrollers? ??? There are none nearby me. Came across 2 other dutchies on this forum and they both live on the other side of the country(to you that won't be far) about 150 km away. LOL
David

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 04:56:48 pm »
Sure wish there was something in the Seattle area.  I've looked, but haven't found anything.  So far, this board is the best thing I've found for learning about scrolling.  Big thanks to Steve and all the folks here!

Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

northie66

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 07:30:10 pm »
I've never looked into a club.  I have commitment issues.   ;D

SMF

Teknoromi