Author Topic: It is Additive!!  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
It is Additive!!
« on: February 22, 2012, 04:30:29 pm »
well, I finally got to use my new scroll saw, which, by the way, is my first. Boy, I am afraid this scrolling can become addictive!! I cut the cat and mouse that Steve put on the web site and only broke one blade.!LOL I then made my wife a bird hose, using the new scroll saw, mitre saw, router, and sander. I think I have found a new passion: WOODWORKING!! I am going to attempt some inside cuts tomorrow, so I expect a broken blade or two and probably broken pieces; but, boy, this is fun! Thank all of ya'll for your help and advice and I am sure I will be seeking more in the future!

Tony, aka, Toneman

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: It is Additive!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:36:02 pm »
I have to agree with you, it is very addictive. Just enjoy it and have fun making sawdust.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

J,Hamilton

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 06:50:24 pm »
I too agree. Once the dust is in your blood, nothing can be done to save you.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:16:02 am »
Not all addictions are bad things.    ;)
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

stipes

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 01:04:29 pm »
It is alot of fun. Alot of good people on this sight will help, and I learned alot by reading, askin. I hope one day I can get good enough to help others as they helped me get started.

Mainewoods

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 02:28:09 pm »
Maybe we can come up with a program for other types of addicts to replace their "bad" addiction with this one.  Once this gets into your blood, everything else takes a backseat.  Tony, make sure to keep your wood supply well stocked!  Nothing sadder than seeing a strung out scroller wandering around Lowe's looking for a decent piece of wood to cut!!!  Fortunately for us, the designers here keep us fairly well stocked in patterns too!  :D ;D 8)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 02:53:17 pm »
Yup, it is addictive. It keeps me out of trouble. Woodworking is my "mid-life crisis". I've never needed a mistress or a fancy sports car!
Dan In Southern California

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 07:41:01 pm »
I love this hobby.

Tony, you know you are truly addicted when your friends only let you come to bonfires if you promise not to take the fire wood back to the shop. Also, if at a bonfire friends play a new game "guess what's wrong with this piece" after deciding that my designer firewood was way to good to burn. (one friend pulled a piece out of the fire and has it hanging up, the burn marks added character supposedly)

Offline glenn wouters

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 03:47:22 pm »
It sure is addictive, but my wifey is very happy with my addiction.
She says it's better then go, to "papagaaike", the bar in our street.
I also see it as my midlife crisis, and my sportscar  is an EX21.
I make sawdust for a living and as a hobby.

But for some reason the sawdust at work isn't that addictive.... :P

Regards Glenn, Belgium

SheGold

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 05:32:12 pm »
Tony it is definately addictive.. You will also find you will challenge yourself to harder and harder pieces.. Then you'll settle into what type of pieces make you happy.. Keep that sawdust flying... Sheila

Dawie

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 01:29:15 am »
 ;D It sure is. Enjoy!
David

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 02:34:24 pm »
It IS addictive.  Fills your time and head with "patterns, wood, glue, saw blades, sand paper, saws, drill bits" and the like.  I LOVE IT!!!!!  Enjoy and don't let any pattern that looks too complicated stop you.  You can do it.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 09:36:16 am »
Want to just thank all of ya'll for your kind words and encouragement! I love this scrolling!! Have a problem though...get in too big of a hurry on the project I am working on so I can get to the next one!! Need to just learn to slow down and enjoy the moment!!LOL

Offline paul44224

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 08:02:12 am »
I must have a hundred patterns in my "to-do" pile! Never enough time to scroll, and I'm retired! LOL!

Paul

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 10:31:19 am »
I got addicted in my High School days when I took a 6 week course in woodworking. I will be turning 81 years young this year and I am still addicted.
I get such joy out of creating a beautiful project from a piece of wood. Over the last 65 years I have made hundreds of projects and given them to my friends and family. I rarely sell my pieces unless someone gives me a special order.
As of late, I make toys for boys and girls and donate them to ill children and to my local hospital's pediatric ward.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

SMF

Teknoromi