Author Topic: Baltic Birch  (Read 2822 times)

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
Baltic Birch
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:54:02 am »
It seems that most people prefer to use the BB plywood to do their fretwork. I have checked with all the supply stores and cabnet shops within a 100 mile radius of where I live and no-one deals with the stuff, some cabnet makers didn't know what I was talking about.  The best plywood I have seen for sale is 3 ply. To bring it in from  the States will have the additional duty cost added at the border. Does anyone know of a Canadian supplier that I could contact?  I have been using 1/4 oak or birch panel but I find it very delicate to use. Now that I have the best saw (EX21) I guess it is only natural to want the best material to work with. ;D ;D
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

tux_linux

Re: Baltic Birch
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:18:33 am »
did you simply figure some home improvement stores? You can get some there (at least here in Europe).
I prefer by now beech ply over birch ply.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:20:05 am »
You might want to private message scrollgirl (Sheila Landry) if she doesn't respond to this post. She lives in Canada and might be able to help.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 08:28:42 am »
hey Clyde not sure what kind of plywood it is but http://www.greathobbies.com/ carries some. they use it in RC model boats and airplanes ETC.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

tux_linux

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 08:31:12 am »
that seems like it is the expensive version that is also called aircraft ply wood.
Great for Christmas ornaments and stuff like that, but very expensive for every day use.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 11:10:13 am »
Hey Clyde, I use BB mostly for portraits. I use hard woods for most everything else including ornaments. BB dose not have much of a grain pattern so it will not stand out like most hardwoods.
Dan In Southern California

thawkins57

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 11:17:40 am »
I don't know if you have them where you live, but I buy my BB at Michael's Crafts and JoAnn Fabrics.  The sheets are made by Revell.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 11:36:15 am »
Where are you located again?  I know of two companies near Halifax that would have a better grade of BB.  The first one is East Coast Specialty Hardwood (http://www.profilecanada.com/companydetail.cfm?company=2319090_East_Coast_Specialty_Hardwood_Ltd_Dartmouth_NS).  The second is Halifax Specialty Hardwoods (http://www.halifaxspecialtyhardwoods.com/).  Both companies do ship I believe, although I don't know the cost for shipping.  Try calling them and see what they would charge.  Both have very good and friendly service (or at least they did when I was there last year.)  Good luck and let me know how you do. 

Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 02:47:24 pm »
3 ply is generally used in normal construction, it consists of thin upper and lower veneers with a thick core not really the proper thing for delicate S/S work. BB has many layers of veneer, depending on the thickness, all of the same high quality, and therefore stronger and less likely to fall apart on fine cuts. Most people use it because it is made of beech or birch and is white in colour making it easy to stain to anything you want. Having said that, you can use any good quality ply such as marine ply as they are built to the same high specs but are generally darker and therefore less easy to stain. Hope this helps. Iggy   
Frustration is the food of invention.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 04:01:37 pm »
Great feedback folks. I have tried Michaels, and other hobby shops and all the stores like Kent, Home Hardware, Home Depot,  even Newfoundland Hardwoods don't carry the stuff. Sheila I will check out those in the Halifax area. Thanks folks.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline maritimer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 03:36:13 pm »
I don't know where you're located but try Woodshop Supply in Embro, Ont.  I haven't bought any there but I know they sell it.

SMF

Teknoromi