Author Topic: Is there such a thing as a quiet small shop vac?  (Read 7066 times)

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
Is there such a thing as a quiet small shop vac?
« on: February 12, 2012, 07:59:10 am »
I would like to add a small shop vac to my scroll saw, but the noise just drives me nuts.  They all sound quiet in a store, not so much when you are in a room without all the store noise.
Cathy
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
Re: Is there such a thing as a quiet small shop vac?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 09:13:07 am »
That is something I am interested in too, would rather turn a small quiet shop vac if one exist instead   of  the shop dust collector system.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 10:31:05 am »
I am very happy with my Fein Vacume.  Noise was the big issue for me too.  I have mine plugged into the foot switch that I put a 3-way plug in. so when I step on the switch the vacume comes on.

This is one site.  just do a google for Fein shop vacume

http://www.cpofein.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-fein-Site/default/Default-Start?ref=googaw&kw={keyword}&gclid=COyFmo7gmK4CFYIUKgodVGruLw&keyword=fein&sissr=1
I'm from North Dakota

jason03151980

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 11:24:26 am »
I put mine outside in a water heater enclosure and ran the hose thru a wall vent. Hook it to it's own switch. Any dust the escapes is outside and not in the shop.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:25:04 pm »
The more you pay the quieter they are
Jimbo

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 11:36:37 pm »
I hear the Festool vacs are quiet.
Dan In Southern California

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 12:01:29 am »
    Outside in a padded box is the best, if you put another connection just inside the wall, all you have to do is sweep all dust to that connection and it has gone. Don't forget to empty it, or it gets very messy, oh and you will need some ventilation for the vac to breath or it will run hot and loose suction or burn out.   Lol Iggy
Frustration is the food of invention.

thumbs

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 07:35:28 am »
 One of the quietest on the market is a broom and dust pan--works for me- about once a week I'll do a little vacuuming around the saw--My wife use those wet dust thingys for the floors and I use one of those to wipe down my tools--Richard aka thumbs

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 02:21:31 pm »
Just bought the Festool vac.  Specs state it runs 56db for noise level, and I compared it to my same-sized Shop Vac for noise levels.  I'd say about half as loud.  It's a better vac, but cost alot more than Shop Vac.  Now if it keeps my dear wife happy it will be worth it!  She didn't want me using the vac in the evenings, thinking it disturbed the neighbors, but none of them ever complained.

John
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

tux_linux

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 02:28:29 am »
Vacuums need to be loud! Otherwise people would not believe that they are working. They could in fact be much more silent by now, but the industry as figured that it needs to be loud to be accepted. The louder the vacuum is, the more power it is believed to have and the more it is valued.

I vacuum in between and after work is done, not permanent but often. That is easier. A vacuum outside is a thread to the neighbors - if you have some directly close by

SMF

Teknoromi