Author Topic: glue  (Read 828 times)

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
glue
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:15:34 am »
what kind of glue is best to use for gluing felt to the back of a standing plaque. probably not the best explanation of it so you can understand what i'm asking go to the link of my last project i posted!
http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=9170.0

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: glue
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 10:32:57 am »
Gluing the 'felt' only will result in the 'cutout' areas being subject to stretching if someone presses on the areas.

When gluing my cuttings to felt I always apply the felt to some other material, cardboard or thin plywood first and then to the back of the cutting.
In this particular case i would coat a piece of 1/8" BB with a dark stain, spray with lacquer and then glue the felt to that with Alene's Tacky Spray glue and let dry.
Then I would spray the back side of the piece with the spray glue and place it on the face of the felt and use weight to press the two together for at least 30 minutes.

That is MY way, not the ONLY way....

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: glue
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:25:38 pm »
I like to have my felt sandwiched between other materials, like GB does. I like hot glue to put felt on.

If I was putting a backer on that piece I think I would use a painted or stained wood backer cut slightly smaller then the front piece (probably 1/8" plywood)

just like GB said, That is MY way, not the ONLY way....

SMF

Teknoromi