Author Topic: Dremel pluge router attachment... why use it?  (Read 864 times)

seasaw

Dremel pluge router attachment... why use it?
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:20:50 pm »
Hi,
   I was reading thru a bunch of older posts (what an education) and found a couple where folks were saying they liked to use the dremel plunge router to drill holes for internal cuts. I'm a newbie here, so maybe I'm missing something, but why not just put the drill bit in the dremel and drill the hole? What advantage does the plunge router attachment give you?
       Thanks for any input.
                               Steve

Mainewoods

Re: Dremel pluge router attachment... why use it?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:51:16 pm »
In some instances (not all) you want the drilled holes to be as close to square with the surface of the wood as possible.  Normally, a drill press is the best way to go for this, but some people don't have a drill press.  Plus, with the router base, your not limited to the throat depth of the press.  I've done it this way on a couple of larger projects.  Hope this helps.

seasaw

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:21:03 pm »
Ahhhh, square to the piece. That makes sense. The pieces I've worked on so far are large enough that that the drill hole size makes squaring unimportant. I can see how that could be very important on smaller finer fretwork with very small drilled holes. Makes sense to me now, thanks Mainwoods!

Mainewoods

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 07:03:51 am »
Glad I could help!  <POOF>  ;)

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 07:53:38 am »
Even if you have a drill press, some pieces are too big to get to the holes you need in the center.  A large portrait is problematic on the drill press because the post of the press keeps you from getting to the center of the piece.  A detailed piece needs those holes square because the cuts are so close together that even the slightest angle will mess up the cut.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 10:32:30 am »
"......why not just put the drill bit in the dremel and drill the hole?"
     That is what I do.  I am doing inlay work and I set the wood on the tilted scroll saw table and use the dremel to drill my start hole streight down.  This gives me the proper angle  i  need for this hole.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi