Author Topic: Excaliber 21 or 30?  (Read 1145 times)

stipes

Excaliber 21 or 30?
« on: February 03, 2012, 02:19:11 pm »
Just wondering is it worth the extra length for the money? Can you cheat by using spiral blades to make up for the extra 9 inches. Heard alot of good things about the 21 but not much imput on the 30, and just wondering if the extra arm length will wear out bushings,, bearings faster, will it have more vibration having a longer arm. Does the 30 have a tension release like the 21? I read and read but havent seen much online to understand if the 30 will be the best choice, cause, I dont wanna go small and wish I got bigger...  ;)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Excaliber 21 or 30?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 02:51:37 pm »
Best advice would be call Ray at Seyco and discuss!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:10:17 am »
The only reason you have not read much about the 30 is that there are not that many out there.  A few folks here on the forum have them.  I have played around on one at Seyco and will eventually invest in one.  It is every bit as good as the EX21.  You can use a spiral to make up for the length issue but it changes the look of the cut and if you are using an angle, it won't work.  I make an eagle with a 28" wing span with many inside cuts and  have changed to a spiral to finish the wings and don't like the way it looks.  I have changed it up by drilling more entry holes and cutting from the other end and trying to match up the cut from the other direction.  Call Ray at Seyco.  I'm sure he will discuss at length the pro's and con's. 

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 12:09:27 pm »
If you are worried about the capasity of the 21 then it is too small for you, and you must be cutting big things with it. The 30 is equel in performance to the 21 and all control is from the front once you have set the tension at the back. be aware that they are built like tanks and are very heavy so need to be static. If you watch Steves vid on the 21, then you have it, as the 30 is just a taller brother Iggy.  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:13:17 pm by iggygiles »
Frustration is the food of invention.

stipes

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 01:06:30 pm »
Thank you all...I willl give him a call ....Just was wondering if the 30 was just as good as the 21. I'm not good enough to swing a big piece of wood around yet but as I said later down the road I dont wanna wish I got bigger.... 

Offline gray6611

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 11:23:59 am »
Just wondering is it worth the extra length for the money? Can you cheat by using spiral blades to make up for the extra 9 inches. Heard alot of good things about the 21 but not much imput on the 30, and just wondering if the extra arm length will wear out bushings,, bearings faster, will it have more vibration having a longer arm. Does the 30 have a tension release like the 21? I read and read but havent seen much online to understand if the 30 will be the best choice, cause, I dont wanna go small and wish I got bigger...  ;)
yes it does tension release like the 21, i have just brought 1 very good manchine well worth money if you can get  buy   buy buy

SMF

Teknoromi