Author Topic: Delta 40-690  (Read 970 times)

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
Delta 40-690
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:32:46 pm »
Tomorrow afternoon I will have my new Delta 40-690 saw.  I am like kid at Christmas time waiting to open my presents.  Is there anything I should know about the saw that I should correct right from the start?

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Delta 40-690
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:47:24 pm »
Hey Gene, Congratulations, The stand will go together very easily. There is an adjustable foot on the rear leg. Adjust it a little longer than the two front legs so the saw table slants down in front. This gives you better access to the controls and makes sawing a little easier. Make sure all the bolts are tight on the stand so things don't rattle around. Make sure the table is square the the blade. If the table is not as smooth as you like, Sand it with some 220 sandpaper on a sanding block. Use some WD40 as a lubricant. After the table is smooth, remove the WD40 with some mineral spirits, then wax the table with a good wax that does not contain silicone. Most folks use Johnson's past wax.
Enjoy the saw!
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 05:50:36 pm »
Yeah...what Dan said AND I would advise getting some 'lock washers' for the bolts on the stand if they are not included. Tighten those bolts well!
Smoothing the table can best be done before assembly.
I hit mine with 320 grit wet/dry and WD-40 using a Random Orbit Sander and then 400 grit wet/dry as the final sanding.
Washed it off with mineral spirits real well and then with alcohol to remove all traces of oily residue before applying the Johnson's Paste wax.
Let the wax dry thoroughly and then buffed with a terry cloth rag under my ROS. Sure saves wear and tear on these old arthritic hands and elbows!!!

Then Cut, Cut and Cut some more!

You are going to love having that saw!

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:56:41 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ChuckD

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 10:35:11 pm »
When I first got my Delta I removed the table and clamped it down and sanded it with a fine grit Belt sander until it was extra smooth and shiny.  For the top I use a product called TopCoate.  I have used only two bottles in 8 years.  Easy to use and when something works I don't change.  The table on both my scroll saws are so smooth that I use magnets at the bottom edges to keep stuff from sliding off.  I use the same thing on my table saw, band saw, drill press, and joiner.  Live in Oregon and never have rust.  :)

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:06:55 pm »
i put formica on my table, now all i have to do is wipe it off termite

SMF

Teknoromi