Author Topic: Seyco's fan filter  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Seyco's fan filter
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:10:28 pm »
Has anyone used the Filter for 20 inch box fans that Seyco sells? Are they effective?
I'm from North Dakota

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
Re: Seyco's fan filter
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:29:38 pm »
Hi Judy,
I do not know about the Seyco's filter, but Scobby my next door neighbor buillt a wood frame around two of his box fans and gave me one.  we hung them behind our scroll saws and you can not believe how much dust from sawing they pickup.  They are made so a 20 X 20  filter fits in the frame.  So I would think the Seyco fam frame would do the same.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 05:51:30 pm »
I am not sure how much they cost but a good quality filter (20"x20"x1") from Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, around $16 from any big box store would be just as good.
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 05:51:37 pm »
Hey Judy, I think one advantage to Seyco's filter is it is washable and reusable, so you don't have to run down to the Depot to buy a new one.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 05:59:23 pm »
I also wonder what is in that 'spray' concoction that they sell to make the dust adhere. Could one maybe use WD-40 instead?

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 06:57:23 pm »
Well I ordered one but I am not sure about using it without an air filter behind it because the holes in it are so large.  The spray stuff that comes with it is supposed to attract the dust.  I use a furnace air filter now.
What kind is the best for this purpose?  The el cheapo at $1.99 or the facny pleated ones for about $10.00?
How many times should you vacume it off before replacing?
I'm from North Dakota

Terry Jackson

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 01:31:05 am »
I have a few, like maybe 6, and they are wonderful.  Tried using the fabric furnace filters and they just don't get it.

One is set up adjacent to the saw and catches most of the dust from both the blower and the fall-out from under the saw.  I need to move it depending on the size piece I am working on, but closer is better, but even moved away it does a decent job.  I don't get the fine dust on everything and very little hits the floor.  One thing I noticed is the variation in effective fan speed, some fans are just better and they are all in the same box.  Oh well....

The forward part of the screen is quite large on the gaps, but they get a lot smaller as you go through the layers.  They work well.  You spray both sides and let it dry.  They are washable, flush it off and let it dry, spray it and let it dry, and off you go.  If I wash it at the end of the day and spray it first thing, I usually have enough prep to keep me busy until the spray has dried.

They also work for sanding  and other dusty activities.  The reason I have so many is some are in Alaska and some in Washington.  Just easier to carry just a few things, but still a load.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 08:14:24 am »
Judy, after you get the filter and try it out let us know how it compares to disposable filters.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 01:12:43 pm »
Thank you Terry,  Do you flush them off in the bathtub or outside?
TYman..I will voice my opinion once I have tried it.
I'm from North Dakota

Terry Jackson

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 03:58:32 pm »
Judy, I use the laundry utility sink.  I should note I usually get a week or so out of the filter, depending.  I found the paper pleated ones were just not as effective.  You may have a different experience.
Terry

Offline hurrysundown2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 09:20:24 pm »
New member and been doing all kinds of woodworking for years and love this site.saw this post and want to order the fan with filter.making pens with a ca glue finish I got sick using the accelerator and the fan would of help for sure.i must of been allergic to the accelerator spray even wearing a mask.took a couple of weeks to get well.my shop is in my garage so when it's cold I keep the doors closed.so if anyone finds it helps to get rid of dust or better air circulation then I would appreciate any thought on hanging the fan or how to use it in a garage open or closed.thank you all.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 05:18:28 pm »
A  substitute for accelerator is to spray with a fine water mist. A bit cheaper too.   
     I have a Grizzly fan filter set up hanging from my ceiling in my wood shop that I Paid $175 for and it does a good job.  It has bag filters in it.  They are about 90% efficient.  Pleated filters are about 50% efficient and cheapo furnace filters are about 30% efficient.  Hepa filter$ are about 98% efficient.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 03:45:08 pm »
 :-\ Well I tried it .  My Momma said,"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything".
I'm from North Dakota

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 07:16:13 pm »
:-\ Well I tried it .  My Momma said,"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything".
Well Judy, I think you just said it all! ::)
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 07:24:38 pm »
We need a little more, so we can at least make a decision on what your opinion is LOL ;). As far as I can tell don't buy the POS.  :o
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:31:17 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi