Author Topic: EX 21  (Read 3120 times)

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
EX 21
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:35:02 am »
Living in the UK, I ordered my new EX 21 from the agent here Axminster. They had a pre Chrissy offer of ?490, so  jumped on it, they are now ?565. Since then I read on This Forum that they are made under lisence in the Far East. The question is. Has anyone got one of them and are they up to standard? After all, you dont expect to buy a RR and have it arrive with Made in China on the label. The machine is due for delivery in a couple of weeks and I was wondering weather or not to Cancell and order direct from Canada. Iggy.
Frustration is the food of invention.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: EX 21
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 06:04:03 am »
From what I understand, they are all made in the same place - even the ones from Canada.  I think the difference here is the quality control of General International as a whole and then that of the individual agents.  While I have had great support with my saw, which I have had almost a year and still love, I purchased it when I was in the United States from Seyco.  Their customer service is very good.  I have also spoken with many Canadians who have purchased their saw from various places in Canada and they are happy.  Axminster also has a good reputation and I have read from people that may have had a problem with their saw and Axminster took care of them very well.   Unfortunately, for those in Australia it hasn't been as easy a go.  I have heard of a couple of instances where they have had sub-standard saws and had trouble resolving the issue.  General International is aware of this problem and is trying to rectify it. 

I think that with Axminster's reputation you will be good.  Most saws are made in the Far East now and we have little choice other than spending almost twice the money to get one that is made elsewhere.  However, in speaking of my own experiences and those from what I have heard from most people, I love the saw and think that you will be happy with it. 

Just my thoughts, Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 11:20:08 am »
I agree with what Sheila has said. But one important factor to consider is the voltage requirements. Here in North America, We use 120 volts at 60 cycles. You would have to use a converter to use a saw meant for North America.
Dan In Southern California

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 02:23:30 pm »
Thank you both for your comments, my mind is now at rest, I was a little concerned about the build qualiy. I may have to spray it green to match the rest of my stuff, not to sure about the Axminster white but we will see how it goes. You must agree they are are expensive and I am expecting a lot from it.Just one question left, maybe you can help on this one as well, HOW DO I TELL THE BOSS. she will kill me when she finds out and I may not live to enjoy it. LOL iggy

CNLNC

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 02:55:03 pm »
You definetly need to make the first project for her...the more romantic the better. That should help ease the blow.
Good Luck!!!

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 02:58:15 pm »
Well . . . you could tell her that you got HER a scroll saw! Think of all the fun things she can do with it  You will even be so good as to show her how to use it! :)  It would work for me! :D

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 03:07:19 pm »
No chance, I will take the flack but she can have the old one, (Scheppach Delco 405) lol iggy

J,Hamilton

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 03:41:13 pm »
I would make sure the first project is hers also. And it doesn't matter the color of the machine as long as it is dependable and it cuts true you'll be fine. At least that is what I tell my timber faller students.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 03:44:23 pm »
Hey iggy, make her this: http://www.stevedgood.com/lovers.pdf, You can't lose!

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 05:00:02 pm »
Thanks for that Dan. I will make that for our 45th anni. at the end of March. in the mean time, I have a couple of sheets of MDF in the garage to make a coffin for myself just in case it goes the wrong way. All I need now is an inscription!!!!. as an afterthought, I may make it a bit longer so she can plant the EX21 with me.
Iggy

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 08:33:10 pm »
Iggy my saw was made in Asia and it was great for 14 month and them a main bearing went and unfortunately the NZ agents are hopeless possibly because they are 650km away and it is not easy trying to explain to some over the phone when they wont listen to the problem, they repaired the machine but it is not what it was before the bearing went.
By the way most cars that are made today come out of Asian countries, or their components 
Jimbo

J,Hamilton

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 08:07:17 am »
Everything made today is meant only to last until after the warranty expires. It does not matter where it is made.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 09:32:17 pm »
I got a new ex21 for Christmas. I want to try and preserve the top. Protect it from scratches etc. Has anyone tried the magnetic strip.I think you can get it in various widths and lenghts.  I was thinking tonight, "I know that could be dangerous",  cut a piece with a hole cut out for the blade would be perfect. No double sided tape or glue involved? What are your thoughts.  :D
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 11:08:29 pm »
Hey Clyde. Do you. iron your blue jeans? All you need to do is keep it waxed. I don't know, It's like putting a vinyl cover over a new couch. I'm not trying to be a "S.A.", but I wouldn't bother!

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 05:40:02 am »
Your right,  ;)but It looks so nice, and my old one was torn up from use ;D I suppose it is like getting a new car and wanting to buy seat covers. And, doesn't everyone iron their jeans?? :o
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

SMF

Teknoromi