Author Topic: You've got to be kidding me!  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Raptor66

• View Profile
You've got to be kidding me!
« on: January 20, 2012, 08:35:54 pm »
3 years ago my brother bought me a scroll saw for Christmas.  It has been in a corner of my garage since although I have used it only a few times.  I have been woodworking for about 12 years building furniture, cabinets, bigger items really etc.  I decided last year around Sept to make quicker smaller projects so I decided to pull my scroll saw out of the corner and try it again!  Um,  can you say hooked instantly?  I have made about 100 items or so and given most away as gifts and everyone has just been very happy and complimentary of my work.  I have mainly made things from This site. 

I have wanted to upgrade m scroll saw to make project production easier and scrolling in general easier and more fun.  Today, I bought the Delta on sale at Woodcraft for $349.  I know a lot of you know about this deal.  I just couldn't pass it up.  My wife insisted that I buy it!!  I spent this afternoon putting it together.  I fired it up and cut a puzzle with it!  YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME?  The difference in that saw and my old one is not even comparable!  I can actually tension a blade now!!!

I wish I would have done it sooner but today was my lucky day because Woodcraft only had 1.

One happy guy right now.  Sorry my post is so long!  I now understand scroll saw heaven. 

Chris
Chris

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: You've got to be kidding me!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 09:44:33 pm »
Now you know what you have been missing! Congratulations!
Dan In Southern California

joey65746

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 09:49:03 pm »
You are right a good saw makes it a lot nicer and makes sum saws look like toys  glad you got a good saw and haven fun with it  I started out just cuting for fun now I work full time at it  enjoy it and hope you post sum of your work

ChuckD

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 10:09:23 pm »
I did the same thing only for 2 years, and waited another five before buying a good one..  Welcome Home... :)

jason03151980

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 10:46:47 pm »
sounds like i will have to up grade someday

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 08:06:37 am »
Now you have a good saw , you'll have to post some pictures of your work for us to see
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

J,Hamilton

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 09:38:42 pm »
A good saw does make a difference in the feel for the craft. Glad you like the new saw.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 01:29:37 am »
Congratulations on the new saw, sounds as if your addiction as kicked in. LOL

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

ShadowB6

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 11:19:41 am »
Congrats on your new and wise purchase to a better saw. Most of us did the same in buying a cheap saw to see if we had a feel for the hobby and then moved on to a better saw. I started with a cheap single speed 16" and after 12 years now own the EX21. Wow, what a difference.

Mike

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 04:38:27 pm »
I had an old, old antique saw that had to be one of the first made.  Had a spring that I had to push down and then tighten the clamp at the same time to hold the blade.  I used it to make Christmas gifts for over 25 + years.  At one time I had a woodworking business and used it for some things, but couldn't stack cut anything.
  Never could afford a new saw.
I finally had some extra cash last September and got the DeWalt 788.  Wow, I can't seem to get away from the saw now to do anything else.  I don't see how I did it for soooo long.  Now I can stack cut.

SMF

Teknoromi