Author Topic: Ooops!  (Read 5698 times)

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
Ooops!
« on: May 19, 2010, 11:51:57 am »
Well, I finally did my first real project.  Used Steve's pattern for "I Love My Schnauzer", and it came out pretty good if I must say so myself.  Wife loved it.  Then I started hand sanding it a bit, holding it in one hand.  It was then that I dropped it onto the garage floor and the "e" and "r" went flying.  Can't say here what I really said but it wasn't nice.  I've since made a new e and r and got them attached but I've learned a lesson.  I'm sure none of the rest of you have ever done a big Ooops, have you?  ;)
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Ooops!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 11:57:32 am »
Of course not!!! That NEVER happened to any of us!  (<---I hope this translates as major sarcasm!)  :)  I think we have all had those type of mishaps from time to time.  I know I have had my share!  One of the first necessary supplies you may want to invest in is some good clear-drying wood glue.  Sometimes it is a woodworkers best friend!  I often tell my friends "It's a good thing I don't do ceramics!"  Glad you got it back together.

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 12:01:57 pm »
And that my friend is exactly WHY I did not take up "Glass Crafting"!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~

P.S. I had a similar experience just this Monday! (Probably said many of the same words!)
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 12:15:42 pm »
Been there, Done that. And I think to myself, I am such a dumb %!$..  :o
LOL
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Dragonlord85

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 12:18:41 pm »
I think at some point all of us have done that. When I was making the Bobcat Segmentation a couple of weeks ago I was trying to move the enitire piece before it was all glued up. I was doing pretty good until right before I reached the table I was headed for. Then it happened.....I tripped over my own feet and 200 peices went flying everywhere. Luckily I was able to find all of them and get it back together.

Dawie

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 12:25:36 pm »
Sounds familiar.
Justthey other day I made something a piece broke of and without checking the pattern clever me stuck it together. Guess what I glued the wrong piece on and my glue works so well I had to redo the piece. So don't feel lonely there are more OOOOOPS out here than there is place for on this forum ;D
David

Dan

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 12:32:52 pm »
One of the first things we all learn. DO NOT DROP YOUR PROJECT. But i have found out why you should keep glue on hand.

Dan

Rightarm

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 12:33:06 pm »
 I thank my lucky stars for wood glue! Dave

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 01:27:42 pm »
Nothing like that ....EVER...happens in my shop....LOL
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Joesawdust

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 01:38:15 pm »
Yes glue can be your best friend :D :D

Marshall

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 02:10:28 pm »
I have dropped a couple of different projects also and my finishing Department THE WIFE seems to do a good job on these .............too bad we all don't have our own finishing departments...........Marshall

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 02:30:58 pm »
ive dropped several projects also, as the old saying goes ..."stuff happens". have also cut or strayed off lines, then i stop and tell myself, heck noone will ever no, so if i stray off a line or leave a few out, im just making it my own pattern so to speak lol.

tgaspard

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 04:19:41 pm »
I like to use Medium Super Glue....It works good, dries clear and pretty fast.  Hubby has to keep comming over to the finishing table and steal it back from me...LOL.  Guess I should invest in my own bottle.  But why, he would just have both bottles by his lathe...LOL.  He is good at that...

But yes, glue is a woodworkers BEST FRIEND!!!  Along with clamps and tape to help glue pieces back together again...It is a MUST HAVE!!!!

Marshall, CORRECTION!!!!!!  We do have our very own finishing department in our shop.  IT IS CALLED ME!!!!!!!!  LOL.   

Tonya

cherie

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 05:29:06 pm »
I have broke many pieces and ended up gluing back in the place I think the piece belongs or cut it down where it looks like a piece does not belong.  LOL

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 07:16:13 pm »
My favorite for 'repairs' is the Loctite Jel 'super glue!
Only takes a little 'dab' like Brylcreem!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi