Author Topic: Portrait cutting  (Read 1432 times)

Offline golfman

• View Profile
Portrait cutting
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:50:22 pm »
I have learned a lot from this family in the last eight months. Last week I finished the Effiel Tower from plans from Wildwood and will post a pic as soon as I figure out how. Today I tried to cut the big cat from Steve's catalog and failed miserably. I stacked three 1/8 bb and used a #3 FD SR blade. What is a good way to cut portraits?  Thank you for any help you can give me

joey65746

Re: Portrait cutting
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 07:33:49 pm »
Hello  I like useing 2/0 r olsen blades they are the smallest reverse blade I have found u can the puzzle blades  the smaller the more detail u can put in the pice if you take time to learn the spiral blades  work to  it is just taken your time that works the best   and use the smallist drill bit u can I use num 71 and 63      that is awsome of your lastproject hope to see ur pics  I got it on my list to make one  I am building the grandfather clock by wildwood give it a try its  alot of cuting

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:43:45 pm »
The best thing for the "Big Cats" is the FD New Spiral #2/0....

That is my blade of choice for ALL portrait work...

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 08:21:55 pm »
Have you ever cut with a spiral blade before this portrait?

If I remember the Effiel Tower project you refer to, that isn't a simple piece. My best advise is to take your time and do portraits one cut at a time.
Also. Many portraits look fine even if you don't follow the pattern lines exactly. Look at the back side as you cut, when you can't see the pattern the piece looks a bit better. I have made some serious errors in some portraits that no one but me and maybe the pattern designer would be able to spot. You might be being to hard on your self.

ChuckD

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:29:29 pm »
Msn is right, I have thrown out more than one project I didn't think was any good.  My Bride is now checking the firewood pile when she comes into the shop.  Four Christmas presents were "rescued" by her.  . :)

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:01:30 am »
Don't be so hard on yourself, if a piece drops out chances are no one will notice only you.  If in doubt hold it up and ask someone their opinion then decided if you did good or bad.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 07:26:29 am »
Get some practice with a spiral blade.  I cut most of my portraits with a spiral 2/0.  I have also used a 2/0, 1 and 2 reverse tooth but be careful with a reverse tooth on delicate areas.  I've snapped more than one delicate area doing this.  I have a tough time with the puzzlers blade.  It seems to have a mind of it's own.

Offline golfman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 05:56:48 pm »
Thank all of you I will be getting some spiral blades from Mike and will be practicing and yes I am too hard on my self but learning more from this group of helpful people.

Mainewoods

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 08:23:26 am »
Here's what I've found works for me with spirals.  I thinks others here will agree with this:

1.  Good blade tension
2.  Fast saw speed (I crank mine all the way up)
3.  Cut slowly.  Every movement of your piece is going to remove some wood, so be very deliberate in how you  move it.
4.  Learn to recognise when a blade is getting dull.  Sharper blades are easier to control.  If your having to fight to keep it cutting where you want, it's probably time to change it.  I went through 3 dozen blades on a recent project.  
5.  Practice, practice, practice.  As you get used to using spirals, you'll be able to go a little faster, but concentrate on precision instead of speed.

Hope this helps!  Good luck!

SMF

Teknoromi