Author Topic: Couple of quick questions for you seasoned scrollers...  (Read 3283 times)

thawkins57

Couple of quick questions for you seasoned scrollers...
« on: January 14, 2012, 10:06:55 pm »
Do you use something to protect your thumb when you have to put the blade through fretwork holes?  I've done 125 cuts on the project I'm working on and I'd guess I have another 300 to do.  My thumb is raw from the blade teeth from putting it through all those holes... LOL

Do blades inherently cut differently, even if they are the same blade from the same pack?  I'm using FD-UR blades and some of them cut like butter while others seem a little dull as soon as I put them on.  I'm assuming it's just the manufacturing process for such tiny teeth.  Have you found the same thing?

Thanks! 
Tim

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Couple of quick questions for you seasoned scrollers...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 10:23:57 pm »
Hey Tim, I don't have that problem because I top feed. That is I feed from the top and not the bottom. Plus I was in the plumbing repair business for close to thirty years, and the skin on my hands are like leather. I guess that's why my wife doesn't like me to touch her! ::). You might try finger cots. Their like finger condoms. You can get them at office supply stores.
And yes, no two blade will cut exactly the same. Make sure the FD UR blades are installed right side up. They have a nub or bump on the top side of the blade. Make sure it is on top.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:27:46 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

thawkins57

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 10:34:19 pm »
I feed from the top as well... I thought about the finger cots - going to look for some tomorrow.  Yes, I'm installing the blades with the nub at the top.  Thanks for the input!

Tim

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 10:38:55 pm »
Are you grabbing the blade from the front and back?

thawkins57

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 10:42:29 pm »
Yes - maybe if I try grabbing it from the sides?  It just seems awkward to do it that way...

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 10:46:43 pm »
I think you found the problem! Try grabbing the blade from the sides rather than the front and back.
On the the other hand, The finger cot on you thumb my aid with controlling the work piece!

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 10:51:37 pm »
Hey Dan, how do you feed from the top.  Latly I have been hearing this.  I have never seen anyone do it?  Don'y you bend the blade that way?

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 11:02:10 pm »
Hey Gene,You have to have a saw that has a lifting Top arm like The DeWalt 788 or any of the Excalibur saws. You loosen the bottom clamp, Lift the top arm with one hand, and guide the blade into the hole with the other hand while lowering the arm. Then tighten the lower clamp and set the tension. I can change from one hole to another in about five seconds!

thawkins57

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 11:22:33 pm »
I have an Excalibur 16... VERY easy to feed the blade from the top - I can't imagine feeding from the bottom...

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 11:55:07 pm »
Yup, I started on a 16" Dremel Saw. It used adapters in order to use plain end blades. On average it took three to five minutes to change from one hole to the next.That was many years ago. Now it only takes about five seconds on my DeWalt!

Waddawood

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 12:00:22 am »
I use only spiral blades (teeth all around) so i definitely get raw and calloused fingers from installing blades.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 12:11:36 am »
Finger cots are available from your friendly Walgreen's, CVS, any drugstore should have them by the adhesive tape.

BUT, c'mon guys, TOUGHEN UP!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 12:16:32 am »
Finger cots are available from your friendly Walgreen's, CVS, any drugstore should have them by the adhesive tape.

BUT, c'mon guys, TOUGHEN UP!!!

~~~GB~~~
You talking to me?!?!

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 03:05:46 am »
(In an Oriental voice) The transition from bottom feed to top feed is not an easy one grasshopper, it take much practice and patience.   ;)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 03:31:56 am »
I also top feed, but the only problem i find is making sure the drilled hole lines up with the work surface hole when doing some bigger pieces ! i have thought about using a laser pen and fixing it in position directly on the work surface hole? but this would only work if i could quickly switch it on and off as i think it would be so annoying if left on all the time ?
No problem with fingers or thumbs though  ;)...Pete
War does not determine who is right - Only who is left !

SMF

Teknoromi