Author Topic: First project using a backer board  (Read 3929 times)

Graywolf

First project using a backer board
« on: January 14, 2012, 11:27:24 am »
I am doing my first project using a backer board, it is the pattern "Packer Backer XLV". Of course I am not putting the "XLV" in the project. The base and football is already cut. My question is. The pattern calls for 1/4 inch material for the backer, which in fine. What would be a good material to use. I have a limited supply and can't spend a lot. I do have plywood (CDX, construction grade) laying around. Also, should I paint the backer? I never was a fan of painted plywood. Although I use a lot of stain. I am planning on staining the football "Maple". I think the backer should be lighter????
The biggest worry I have is glueing the backer on. Should I put glue all over the project then attach the backer, or just glue around the edgeg of the project???

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: First project using a backer board
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:03:55 pm »
most of the time my backers are darker then the project, but it is really up to personal preference. I do like stained backers, although sometimes painted ones look really good. for a packer project a green backer board might be really nice.
The material I use for backers depends a little on what I want the finished project to look like. If it is going in a frame I would use 1/8-1/4 plywood. If it was just getting hung up the way it was I would use 1/4-3/4 depending on the material. I like using a router to add a decorative edge to the piece.
I like plywood for a backer, it is stable and can be any size I want. The only down side is if you have to see the edge. I usually solve this by painting it. If you use a wood filler and sand the edges it can be just as smooth as the rest of the piece.

Offline brendeg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:54:19 pm »
Not to sound newbish (which I am) what's considered a "Backer"? is that like a mount for a plaque or something?

Thanks,

Graywolf

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 12:56:09 pm »
All Right!!!, mrsn. Thanks a lot. I was thinking about 1/4" ply. and painting it either green or yellow. This is a clock and pen set I am making for my oldest son. Haven't done clocks yet either. HOBOY!!!!  This is how you learn though.  :)

Graywolf

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 12:59:34 pm »
A backer is a board (material) you put on the back of your projects and you can paint them or whatever you want to do to add effects. It took me a long time to figure out how they do portraties (sp), which I am a long way from doing. I am new at this also.

Offline brendeg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 01:01:57 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I'm looking for something similar to what you described.  I'm working on a college logo in Sanded 1/4 Ply in which I'm going to stain a light maple, or paint white.  I haven't decided yet lol.  I stained 1 piece I did in 1/4 ply, but the stain came out all blotchy :(

Graywolf

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 01:20:06 pm »
by blotchy you mean the stain is lighter in some areas and darker in others. Maybe you need to add more stain. I am not sure?

Offline brendeg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 01:28:42 pm »
Aye a lot lighter in some, and very dark in others.  I could try to restain it, but it seemed that part of the wood "Super Absorbed" in parts and other parts were resistant to the stain.  I bought some pre-stain treatment I might try on a piece of scrap to see if it helps.

daliclimbs

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 02:30:24 pm »
Staining ply will do that sometimes. Many times the glue used in the ply layers block some stain from fully penetrating. Try the pre stain treatment it should help. Many times once you get the project on the backer board you can't notice the difference in color. Use the stain sparingly on ply.

Offline brendeg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 03:32:35 pm »
Will do thanks.  The college logo is for the University of North Dakota, which recently lost it's Fighting Sioux Logo, so I'm doing a Sioux Logo.  Their colors are green & White, or Green and Black, so I figure if the stain doesn't look that great, there is always paint :)

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 03:43:29 pm »
Another possibility re the blotching is to use gel stain.  It's thick and doesn't penetrate like regular stains. Available in various colors. 
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Scooby

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 04:57:29 pm »
Ive found that a good backer board is baltic birch in 1/8 or 1/4 probally the 1/8 for the backer

J,Hamilton

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 06:31:47 am »
brendeg,
Have you ever user a wood conditioner. Many different companies make this product for the reason of the uneven staining. Cabinet makers have used tihis for years to gain the even looking color. The first thing to remember is that when you apply the conditioner, you must apply the stain within a 2 hour period or the result will be "blotchy". I use the Minwax Soft Wood Conditioner, but, many other brands are available.

Offline brendeg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 10:08:19 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I have never used it, but did pick up the minwax brand the other day at homedepot and I'm looking forward to trying it.  Unfortunately, I ran into the problem with my detail work that the blue tape was actually lifting the first layer of wood off of the 1/4 ply that I was working with.  So I'll probably not be using blue tape again when I work with ply.  I'm hoping I can sand the project fairly well and the missing wood areas give a neat highlight look.  However, after 3-4 hours of working on the project I was fairly unimpressed with the result because of the wood lifting :(  Oh well, there is alway paint ;)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 10:33:39 am »
If the BLUE tape was lifting the first layer of the plywood, you have cheap, bad plywood. The stickiness of blue tape is about as mild as you could find anywhere. The blue "painters" tape is designed NOT to stick too much or leave any residue. Please try a better quality of plywood before you give up on blue tape.
Just my two cents worth.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi