Author Topic: Poly Packing Tape?  (Read 3586 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Poly Packing Tape?
« on: May 18, 2010, 02:58:20 pm »
 :-\ Do You or Don't You place it over your pattern before you cut?

It is vigorously promoted by some and just a vigorously shunned by others!

What is your Method?

Do you use the Blue or Green Painter's tape under your pattern?

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Dan

Re: Poly Packing Tape?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 03:07:34 pm »
I use Blue painters tape or or clear packaging tape, under the pattern. I adhear the pattern with 3m adhesive.

Dan

Gary

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 03:24:57 pm »
I do the same as Dan and it certainly makes the blade cut better and cooler especially on harder and thicker woods. I cut a lot of Steves round boxes and  the effect of the tape is quite obvious. The pattern comes off easier for me also.  I find It's not a perfect method but is a great improvement in most instances....Gary

Dragonlord85

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 03:48:22 pm »
I use a type of masking tape that is for backing vinyl signs ( I make signs as well). I like it because I have it in widths from 2" all the way to 24".

Kevin

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 04:56:14 pm »
I use clear packaging tape over all patterns that I am cutting on hard wood.  It really does the job in preventing burning when cutting.  I have had times where I missed a little spot and that spot alone burned when I cut. I know there may be other methods (as I am learning from reading this board!) and I want to try them too, but this has been what I have been successful with for years.

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 05:38:38 pm »
hi,
i used sheilas idea of using the clear packing tape (thanks sheila) and it does work great, i put tape over my board first though then glue the pattern to the tape, then put a layer of tape over the entire pattern, that way the pattern doesnt stick to the board itself and with just using a blow dryer the tape peels away easy with the pattern.

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 06:37:52 pm »
I use Blue Painters tape under the pattern, as it comes off real easy, and put  clear packing tape over the pattern, found this works great. Painters tape you can get real cheap at a dollar store, and have bought 2" tape at a flea market.  Just my opinion.   Edward

ripchief

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 08:14:18 pm »
- Blue Tape (DELICATE, not the regular blue tape) under the pattern

- Super 77 spray to adhere the pattern to the blue tape

- Clear packing tape over the top

I even use both types of tape on the backside of the wood.

patch

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 08:51:39 pm »
I don't use any tape I just use paper clue as in Glue stick and the run it through the sander when it is finished I have never seen any advantage in using tap

it is good to see some one is talking about scroll saw again 

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 10:00:38 pm »
I only use packing tape on woods that burn easily fo me. If I'm cutting oak, maple or cherry in 1/2" or above I will use packing tape over the pattern. I never use tape on walnut or mahogany as they do not burn for me.
Dan In Southern California

cherie

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 10:14:35 pm »
I am the same with most here.  Blue painters tape, adhere the pattern to the blue tape, then the packing tape.  However, I bought some Avery 81/2"x11" and am going to try that.  I have applied it directly to the wood with the pattern printed on it, then the packing tape.  I will let ya's know how that works for me.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 11:02:45 pm »
Being a retired member of the printing profession my only concern would be leaving the Avery material on the wood for any length of time.
MOST pressure sensitive adhesive labels that are labeled 'removable' will become "permanent" if left adhered to any surface for an extended period of time.
In that case they become a bear to remove!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

cherie

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 11:04:47 pm »
If that is the case, then here come the mineral spirits.  LOL.  That is why i do not adhere my pattern directly to the wood.  It was a pain to get all the paper and glue off. >:(

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 11:32:04 pm »
When I have a stubborn pattern I use a heat gun to loosen it.
Dan In Southern California

Dan

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 01:22:08 am »
I have had problems geting the blue painters tape off the wood. So I have gone back to 3m packaging tape under the pattern.

Dan

SMF

Teknoromi