Author Topic: Re-sizing a pattern?  (Read 2357 times)

CNLNC

Re-sizing a pattern?
« on: January 06, 2012, 01:08:27 pm »
First off, let me say thank-you to Steve for the free patterns.

My question is, is there a way, or how do you re-size a pattern. For example, Steve's free pattern today was a Celtic picture frame which comes in a 4 X 6 size. If I wanted to make it a 5 X 7, or 8 X 10, how would I do so.

Thanks in advance for any information given, and thanks again Steve.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Re-sizing a pattern?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 01:30:03 pm »
One that small only going to 8 x 10 could be done on any copier that will enlarge/reduce...otherwise you would have to use a copier that will make 11 x 17 copies.

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 06:36:40 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:47:56 pm »
I used a scanner, and scanned the pattern into coreldraw, then it can be resized just by dragging a corner to the size you want. any drawing, publishing or painting program should work just as well
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Unknotted

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 04:23:53 pm »
If you want the frame larger without enlarging the size/thickness of the fretwork you could cut and splice extra segments into it.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 04:38:07 pm »

when I need something enlarged/reduced I take it to my bank (I live in a very small town) or to the school office, both places are glad to do it w/o charge.  Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 06:37:44 pm »
Hey Pete...

Did they ever put the SECOND traffic light up in your town?
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 08:18:53 pm »
Once it is downloaded, you can import it into Coreldraw, Inkscape, Gimp, Photoshop and enlarge it.
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

ChuckD

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 10:46:47 pm »
I use a site called Rapid Resizer and have for several years.  I like it and it has more than paid for itself.

CNLNC

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 11:39:15 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I think i'll play with resizing it in Gimp as Russ suggested. The trick I think will be resizing to the correct size so that the inside of the frame will be the right size for standard picture sizes, such as 8X10's, etc.

Thanks again...

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 01:19:45 am »
I printed out the pattern and put my 'proportional scale to it.

To go from the actual size of the pattern to fit and 8 X 10 would be an enlargement of 150% according to my late night calculation.

This is open to verification in the morning!

~~~GB~~~

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 10:01:41 am »
i saw an article in an older scrollsaw mag. about this scale. where did you find this & was it pricey.
is it worth having? i also read about a seam gauge for sewing. anybody use this in their scrolling
thanks termite

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 10:26:46 am »
Termite...got mine at Office Depot or Max for about $6...have used one for too many years to count when in printing business. I use mine all the time since I am constantly 'adjusting' and 'adapting' patterns. Very handy little tool. Get it where they keep the 'drafting' supplies.

Seam gauge is something I have  never thought to use in the shop but I don't sew...yet! Have friend who wants to give me a good Singer machine! Needs repair but supposedly very good machine. Should I take it and learn a new skill?

~~~GB~~~

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 10:51:05 am »
OK...I knew I shouldn't have done that after watching two hockey games and at 11:00 at night!

You cannot do a direct enlargement of the pattern since the proportions do not work out directly!
If you enlarge the pattern to 185% your length will be 9 3/4" but your width will only be 6 1/2".

So going from 4" x 6" to 8" x 10" will not work. You will have to use a 'manipulation' program and that will likely change the look of the scroll work.

I will leave it to one of the 'manipulators' to try it and see what they come up with!

SORRY! It seemed like a good idea at the time!

~~~GB~~~

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 12:29:38 pm »
If you imported it into Corel Draw or Inkscape you could do it with no problem. It would need to be turned into a vector graphic. The problem is, in order to fit an 8x10 photo in the middle, the page size would have to be a minimum of 12"x14". So you would have to print across 4 sheets of paper. Also it would have to be e-mail, to big to post and retain size and quality. I can do it, do you know how to print it?
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

CNLNC

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 01:23:42 pm »
Hey Russ, I don't know if your asking me, or someone else, but I appreciate the help.
I didn't have an immediate need for the frame, I just wanted to know how to enlarge it to accommodate 5 X 7 and 8 X 10 pictures. If its easy for you to do, I would love to have those patterns in those sizes, but if its any trouble I'll just play around with it in GIMP.
About the printing...if its more complicated than just using the 'print page' function, than its probaly over my head.

Thanks again....

SMF

Teknoromi