Author Topic: Water rises in Groningen  (Read 1212 times)

Dawie

Water rises in Groningen
« on: January 06, 2012, 04:11:57 am »
Hi all,

Please pray for Groningen.

Don't know what you do and don't hear on the news. So just a little note to say I am safe. Water levels in our province are rising, due to a lot of rain and a very great storm the last couple of days. Last night about 800 people were evacuated as a dyke was about to give way, it had already started leaking. Thanks to the military this did not happen yet.
Every possible area where water can be channelled into to keep people safe have been opened up yesterday. Areas that can take up to 8000 cubs of water and so far 3 of them are in use and they are planning on opening up another which can take about 5000 cubs of water. Due to the hard wind coming from sea pumping water to sea is no option as it all sprays right back to land.

Looking out I see more dark clouds coming, the wind is less fierce than yesterday. In my town there is 1 dyke which has been weakened and soldiers and volunteers are doing their utmost to make it stronger.
Hope all this passes without people getting hurt. All farm animals in danger areas were transported out in army trucks to safety. So they too are safe.

David

tux_linux

Re: Water rises in Groningen
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 04:49:03 am »
David! I'm scared. When not you in the Netherlands can manage this - who else should?
The Netherlands have the best technique in controlling water. You are even able to build houses on the water. Netherlands engineers did build those famous Islands in the Arabic sea.

I hope you did well and didn't have to deal with the water too much.

Dawie

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 05:29:16 am »
Torsten we are still keeping our feet dry. The highest water level is expeted at 13.00 which is 90 minutes away. So far so good. Following the news closely.
David

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 06:34:32 am »
He David,
I was allready thinking of you.
hope you all keep your feet dry up there!!

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 07:59:43 am »
Keep your feet dry, but most importantly - Stay Safe
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Unknotted

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 09:23:10 am »
David, I hope you and those you love stay safe.  I'll be praying for you all.

Brenda

daliclimbs

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 10:04:08 am »
Best wishes that all is well! You are in our prayers..

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 11:16:31 am »
Find that little boy put his finger in the dike!

Seriously....praying for your whole area!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Dawie

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 11:25:46 am »
Thanks all.
The wind has turned so water can be spouted to the sea, which helps. Although predictions are that the wind will turn landwards again later tonight.
We just had F 16 s flying over with infra red camera's to check the conditions under the dykes as several more have started to let water seep through. One closely to a neighbourhood (20km from here). One shipyard about 2 km from here has about 1,5 m water in their workshops.
Thanks for your prayers, much appreciated.
Will keep you updated.
David

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 01:12:59 pm »
David, prayers sent up now for your safety and for your country. Our area experienced flooding 3 years ago and its a scary thing as there is no where for the water to go but up into peoples houses, garages, roads and of course peoples lives!
Bill

rob roy

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 07:34:52 pm »
Hi David, just had a big storm here in the West coast of Scotland. Pretty scary it was too. Hope all goes for all concerned.
Rob Roy.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 01:51:57 am »
Hope you all stay safe and dry. I know its a scary time for you, we had floods in Queensland and Northern Victoria last year.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Dawie

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 08:24:19 am »
 Thanks all. Water is subsiding and evacuees where allowed to go home about an hour ago. Farm animals are still kept elsewhere as the dykes are stable but danger has not yet passed.
Fortunately that rain is getting less and the wind is dropping slightly, water can still be pumped off to sea which helps, they pumped about 10 million litres ( 264172.05 gallons US) of water to sea last night which has resulted in a drop of water levels of about 5-10 cm (2-4 ")
David

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 08:37:03 am »
Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Stay dry and safe David.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Unknotted

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 08:39:02 am »
I know it has a scary time you you and your country, but I'm happy to hear it is getting better now.

SMF

Teknoromi