Author Topic: Questions about photo puzzles  (Read 1655 times)

Unknotted

Questions about photo puzzles
« on: December 30, 2011, 10:59:23 am »
I'm thinking of making a photo puzzle for one of my grandaughters, with a picture of her and her boyfriend.  I figure I can't mess up the scrolling part because even if I go off the lines it will still be a puzzle.  But I do have a couple of questions.

1.) Plywood?  Is that what I want to use?
2.) Photo paper or regular printer paper?
3.) Any kind of finish on top of the cut pieces?  (Would it ruin the colors, etc?)

Thanks in advance

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: Questions about photo puzzles
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 11:05:37 am »
I haven't made any myself, but If you go to Steve's website http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/ and scroll down there is a video clip on how to make puzzles. hope this helps
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Unknotted

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 11:23:41 am »
It was that video that made me want to try it.  Now how on earth I missed the parts about using baltic birch plywood is beyond me...but I AM getting old, so maybe that's my excuse.

The thing is, he used a photo that he apparently had printed somewhere (he hinted at that, but I'm not sure.)  I am wondering if I can use a picture printed on regular copy paper, or would that have a disasterous finished look?

He also didn't apply any finish to his completed puzzle...should I assume that no finish is required?

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 12:09:57 pm »
I have made several including an 8X10 inch.  I strongly recommend photo paper if you print it yourself, otherwise have the print made somewhere.  I have not put a clear finish on top but if you decide to try it, it is more likely to work well on an actual photo than on a picture you print yourself.  A clear finish might cause the ink from an inkjet printer to run.

Have fun!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 12:18:48 pm »
Use the photo paper! It will be sturdier and less prone to damage by handling. And the ink will set up better.
I would recommend that you spray a couple very light coats of Krylon Acrylic spray BEFORE you glue the photo to the board. (make sure you glue it well to the board!)
That way the photo will have some protection from spills and handling.
I have done that for photos I have used for other purposes and it seems to work well.

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:21:06 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Unknotted

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 12:35:11 pm »
Thanks guys.  I have photo paper and will try it with that.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 12:46:05 pm »
What about Decoupage glue to stick the paper to the board. It is pretty much designed to stick paper to wood and has a shiny finish afterward.

Unknotted

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 01:12:04 pm »
What about Decoupage glue to stick the paper to the board. It is pretty much designed to stick paper to wood and has a shiny finish afterward.

I have some and have considered that too.  I was also thinking of putting a light coat of Mod Podge on before cutting.  I love testing out things, so I am sure I'll try several things like that before I find what works best for me.  For me, the best way I learn is to make lots of mistakes...I think this hobby will give me some serious learning time!!

Mainewoods

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 01:21:16 pm »
I would think that decoupage would cause problems with smearing the ink on the photo when you brush it on.  I don't have experience with the decoupage, but I do have experience with ink smearing long after it's dried and moisture comes in contact with the photo.  Inkjet inks and liquids just don't get along.  Let us know what you come up with!

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 01:39:15 pm »
That is why I recommended the Acrylic Spray OVER the ink...that will show up immediately if it is going to 'run' and if it doesn't run then you are safer in handling.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Mainewoods

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 01:45:29 pm »
Hey GB, remember the stuff you had to wipe onto a polaroid to protect it after it developed?!  Don't know what that was, but maybe IT's available in a spray!  :D

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 01:56:06 pm »
Damn! You sure brought back a Memory of days long gone by!
Messy, Messy, Messy!!!

Think the "Green Folks" would allow that process today?

~~~GB~~~

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 04:44:46 pm »
Been cutting jigsaw type puzzles using pictures for a while now and I always send my picture to Walgreens or even Walmart to get a professional picture make which saves on me printing it.  Doesn't cost that much either.  Danny :+}
Danny  :+}

SMF

Teknoromi