Author Topic: blank is slapping the table  (Read 1387 times)

twodogs

blank is slapping the table
« on: December 27, 2011, 08:08:34 pm »
Hi,
This is all new to me. Why is my blank slapping the table. My cuts are not smooth.
Thanks
Pat

tux_linux

Re: blank is slapping the table
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 08:12:33 pm »
What kind of blade do you use? A reverse kind of blade? Pretty normal, just hold the wood a bit more.
Reverse Blades have teeth facing up to make the backside smoother.

Or are you using a spiral blade? in that case is the blade mounted upside down. Mount it correct and the cutting will work much better.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 08:43:00 pm »
We need a lot more information to help. Type of saw, type of blades, type of wood and how thick is the wood?  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Mainewoods

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:46:47 pm »
What kind of blade do you use? A reverse kind of blade? Pretty normal, just hold the wood a bit more.
Reverse Blades have teeth facing up to make the backside smoother.

Or are you using a spiral blade? in that case is the blade mounted upside down. Mount it correct and the cutting will work much better.

Yup.  More downward pressure if you're using a Reverse toothed blade and make sure you've got it in right side up.  Very small blades (i.e. 2/0) can be difficult to determine which way is up, so look closely!  Plain spirals are easy to determine, but I guess there are some with reverse teeth now, so just make sure they're right side up!

twodogs

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 07:32:53 am »
standard blade, not reveresed or spiral. blade is packaged by craftsman. craftsman saw. i started using the saw a few weeks ago. i was doing better with it in the beginning then i am now. my cuts are not smooth.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 07:53:00 am »
seems like you might have the blade upside down to me. and standard i find don't cut as smooth as reverse tooth blades.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 07:59:07 am »
"Chatter" is caused by the blade lifting the wood as the blade moves.  If you are not using a reverse tooth blade, check to see if you have the blade in upside down.  We all do it from time to time.  That could also account for the cut not being as smooth as it was before.  I would suggest you order a variety pack from Mikes workshop.  That will give you a feel for the types of blades that you would like to use.  Buying good blades will make a huge difference in your work.  They are actually less expensive that the cheap blades you can buy at the hardware stores and far superior in quality and sharpness.

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 08:22:27 am »
Buying good blades will make a huge difference in your work.

contact Mike: http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

He sells Flying Dutchman Blades, which are one of the top blades. Working with them blades will improve your work much.
He will send them to you and has great service.
Alternative are Olsen blades, which you can get at several places (I guess cause I'm not living in the US).

twodogs

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 07:44:13 pm »
So I came home from work anxious to try the tips you all shared with me. The first thing I would do was check the direction of the blade. I was sure I checked it when I put it on the saw. Sure enough if I did I must have done it standing on my head, cause the teeth were pointing up. Things are better again. Thanks for your help.

Mainewoods

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 09:20:39 pm »
Buying good blades will make a huge difference in your work.

contact Mike: http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

He sells Flying Dutchman Blades, which are one of the top blades. Working with them blades will improve your work much.
He will send them to you and has great service.
Alternative are Olsen blades, which you can get at several places (I guess cause I'm not living in the US).

You will absolutely see a marked improvement in the cut if you switch to a good quality blade!!!  Several brands to choose from, so give 'em a try!  I guarantee you like the difference!

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 11:39:39 pm »
When I first got my craftman saw I used thier blades.  They did exactly what is happening to you, except maybe you do have the blade upside down.  Craftman blade are cheaply made and cost are high.  Like the others have sugested, call Mike and he will help you.  He sells FD blades.  I use olson blades and have really good luck with them.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

SMF

Teknoromi