Author Topic: Opinions of Sprial hams or other.... ?  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Opinions of Sprial hams or other.... ?
« on: December 21, 2011, 07:07:55 pm »
Is there a thot about whether to cook a raw ham or a fully cooked ham?
And thots on the Spriral fully cooked hams as compared to the fully cooked other wise hams.  Gots my way, but sure would like to hear others....Danny :+}
Danny  :+}

thawkins57

Re: Opinions of Sprial hams or other.... ?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 07:15:07 pm »
Is there a thot about whether to cook a raw ham or a fully cooked ham?
And thots on the Spriral fully cooked hams as compared to the fully cooked other wise hams.  Gots my way, but sure would like to hear others....Danny :+}

We LOVE HoneyBaked hams, but they closed the store in Reno last year, so that's out of the question... besides the outrageous price they want for HoneyBaked.  As far as spiral sliced goes, IMHO, they dry out more than a whole or half ham.  We always get smoked, fully cooked hams - I love the taste of smoked meat.  Last year, we cooked our ham in a crockpot.  It came out so tender and juicy that we'll never do it any other way. 

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 08:25:49 pm »
Don't know if you've got a Costco nearby, but my family and I really like their spiral cut hams.  Easy to prepare, already sliced, very little waste, and great tasting.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 09:46:23 pm »
Spiral hams are great.  My wife likes to bake them and use a glaze.  I prefer to cook them in a smoker with a garlic salt rub.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 10:02:29 pm »
To be honest I have found the spiral sliced hams from Aldi's to be very good if prepared by bringing them to serving temperature with a Pineapple Juice and orange marmalade glaze.

The secret with those spiral sliced hams is to just get them to serving temperature and make sure you have a source of moisture that you baste them with or they ALL will dry out on you. They are pre-cooked and most people make the mistake of RE-cooking them to a total dried out state or as I refer to it..."A Holy Ham"...it had the HELL cooked out of it!

If serving for Brunch I take it out of the fridge late the night before and allow it to come to room temperature before placing them in the oven with the glaze.
This is true of ALL meat,,,don't take it right out of the fridge and stick it in the oven...let it come to room temp first.

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:04:04 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 10:48:14 pm »
hmmm....you guys suprise me again...who would have thought I could pick up cooking tips from the scroll saw guys!
Thanks!
Also, I like my ham best the way my mom does it. She does all the cooking and clean up and all I have to do is enjoy! (I do make dessert and clean up after the meal)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 10:55:07 pm »
Hey Katie, I bet you didn't know GrayBeard moderates a recipe forum!
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 11:59:32 pm »
Yep..I started a Yahoo recipe group almost 6 years ago...
BUT with my new hobby I have turned the reins over to someone else.

I still check in there often...we have a resident Professional Chef (retired due to health).

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Stl-Recipe-Exchange/?yguid=359941795

I also have a CD of personal favorite recipes if anyone is interested.
OR I could just post them in the Coffee Shop on occasion.

Drop me an email if interested.

~~~GB~~~  AKA   ~~~GrampEd~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 12:01:49 am »
hahahahaha I think its great reading the tips you guys have put up.  I HATE cooking so we get the ham from the local butcher who smokes his own ham and when you get it all you need to do is slice.  Maybe Steve should start a Cooking Category just for the men.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 09:59:20 am »
I find the spiral hams to be overpriced.  I buy a regular cooked ham and score it and use a honey, brown sugar, pineapple and a touch of mustard for the glaze.  Slowly bring it up to temp (250 to 325 degree oven) and baste with glaze as it cooks.
ChelCass

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 10:34:06 am »
Just one more .... Sure wished I had of started this subject before I went and bought TWO Spiral Smoked Fully Cooked Hams I cooked the day before Christmas.  One went into a Reynolds Oven Bag and the other I used our NU-WAVE type of oven.  Well I had recipes for both ways.  The regular oven one came out the best, but around the outside was really crisp.  Over-all the ham was juicy and tasted great.  The Nu-Wave one really dried out the slices.
We had a house full and most all was devoured.  My Wife cooked a regular fully cooked ham (not spiral) and IT CAME OUT THE BEST.  At least you could slice a bigger slice if you wanted to....SO....Moral to my story....No Mo Spirals.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 04:51:59 am »
hmmm....you guys suprise me again...who would have thought I could pick up cooking tips from the scroll saw guys!

I guess this forum is evolving into a "Woodchuck book" like the one from Huey, Dewey en Louie.
you can find answers on any question.  :D
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Mainewoods

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 07:29:31 am »
Danny - Just like regulars, spirals take time and practice to get good at them!  Just because your first attempt didn't come out exactly like you intended doesn't mean you should give up on them!  Put another spiral in there and give it another go.....wait....what?....oh...we're talking about HAMS!   ;) ;) ;) ;D

Offline tinker1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 06:49:04 am »
 I refer to it..."A Holy Ham"...it had the HELL cooked out of it!

Always wondered what they called those hams ::) ;D

SMF

Teknoromi