Author Topic: Thank you and apologies  (Read 6895 times)

Charlie Dearing

Thank you and apologies
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:58:05 am »
I felt I needed to make some apologies and thanks to so many in the scrollsawing community.  Any of you who have spoken to me one on one in chat or facebook, know that I am ..well, troubled.  I live in a small town, have no money and no in-person friends.  For that reason I tend to unload and vent my problems and stresses on people.  You don't have to sit there and listen (read), but you do.  For that I thank all of you.  I don't like my life, my constant bad luck and my many efforts that fail.  I love to make people smile and laugh so being here on the forums and in chat, I flirt, crack jokes and try to help.  Behind the scenes I am usually very depressed and hopeless.  The scrollsawing community truly is my family.  I know it is taxing to listen to someone go downhill and feel hopeless in doing anything about it and for that I apologize.  I know there are people in this world who have it worse than me...but somehow that doesn't help.  Thank you so much for all of you who tolerate me and my faults.
Thank you, also, to Steve for letting me moderate, tolerating me and even helping me get my patterns and such out there.  He doesn't ask for a thing in return and I will forever appreciate it.  I'm probably rambling now, but felt I had to say these things.  I love you all...my family.
-Charles Dearing-

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Thank you and apologies
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:49:15 am »
Charles, don't be so hard on yourself.  You bring a lot to the table, both with your creativity and also with your outgoing, compassionate personality.  You have helped many people here on this list and in many other places too.  Friendships work in both ways - both giving and receiving.  Sometimes the bad things just get hold of us and overwhelm us.  I guess that is one of the characteristics of a creative personality - you feel things a lot deeper than someone who may not be as artistic.  I have also found that the woodworking community as a whole is full of some of the nicest people in the world.  It is a great group to be in and I feel very privileged to be part of it.  Try to focus on the positive things. I had a very dear friend who taught me the saying "We follow where we focus".  I have found that to be true. Focus on the good things and perhaps they will overshadow the bad.  Take care.

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:36:39 am »
Charlie....
I agree with Sheila!

If you make one person 'happy' in any way your day is not lost!
Take heart in the fact that you 'help' many others with what you do and FOCUS on that one aspect of your life.
Sure, we may not run right to our saws and immediately cut each pattern you post BUT you have given us something of yourself and it is appreciated by all. We were inspired by something you created and we are better for it.
You appear to be in one of those periods where "I've been down so long everything looks up" but somewhere there is your 'silver lining'. You cannot give up on ourself because you have too many others pulling for you.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:00:34 pm »
Hi Charlies,
I agree with Sheila, don't be so hard on yourself. You have shared so much with all of us and I am not talking about just patterns. I know in the short period of time I have known you, I am proud to be your friend. Any time you feel down you need to chat let me know. I will set up my facebook account to text me (My cell Phone) when you post (SMS). So I will watch out for your posts and if you need a friend I can be there. You are a very caring person and I thank you for all the things you add to the forum. I have learned alot from you, and your artistic talents are fantastic. I wish I was that good. I have had depression and bad luck too, and it seemed like there was no way out. It is the darkest just before sunrise. But when the sun does rise it is all beautiful, well and good. Your sun will come up you just have to hang in there untill it does. Untill then lean on your family in the forum.
Russ [C]
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Rightarm

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:04:38 pm »
    Well Charlie, they say you always take your frustrations out on the ones you love. Then so be it. I know I beat the drum about being a firefighter. I've seen the best and worst in peoples lives. Sometimes you take the worst home with you and climb into a bottle, inside your shell and not let anybody in. Been there done it. Your right it can always get worse. I'm looking to retire this September. This is a job for young people. I can't do half the stuff I used to. And thats very frustrating for me. Doctors have been treating my back for degenerating arthritis. No big deal. Give me some shots in the back, and I'll be fine. Now my neck flairs up. Docs say you now got arthritis in your neck. Been about 4 months. Sometimes it hurts so bad I can't eat. Went to a ENT last Thursday with my wife. He scopes my throat. Something going on with the artery, inflamation, something
like that. he trys to go into my right nostril, but can't. He says that at sometime my nose has been broke. Then he says lets go on down to the voice box a take a look.  Then I see my wife crying, and I'm thinking "Whats her problem"? This Doctors very blunt. He says Mr. Roberts you have pre-malignant cancer of the larynx. My first thought was, how did my nose get broke???? He gave me a shot of something, told me to quit smoking. He said it's in the very earily stages. He truley believes it can be stopped.  So I'm going to do as I'm told, for once, and not worry about it. Then I go home, get my riding lawn mower ready for grass cutting. back out of the garage, and blow it up. Forgot to put the oil back in it. Now I have to rebuild that. My wife swears I did that so I could make a hot rod out of it. Weeeeeell maybe I did, maybe I didn't. So if you ever need somebody to talk to, get ahold of me. I've been there, done it. Dave

cherie

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 02:48:54 pm »
Charlie, I agree with everyone above here.  Don't be so hard on yourself.  If you make one person happy, that's all it takes.  I have been depressed for a very long time now.  It is difficult to get out of I know, and you are not alone in the world.  If you need to vent, let me have it.  I am a great listener and will only offer advice if asked. 
And one of these days I am actually going to sit and read your technique on making patterns after the Grand kids go home.
Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Dawie

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 02:55:40 pm »
Hi Charlie,
Very brave of you to share this with us. It takes somebody with charater to do what you just did. I only know you from this forum, but I agree with what has been sad, you are a great assit. The work you do is beautiful. If you need to get things of your chest send me a mail as phoning me is no option I think. Just remember you have family all over the world.
Hang in there,
David

Dragonlord85

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 03:38:09 pm »
Hi, charlie,
I think most of us have been in your position once or twice in our lives. just remember that while you may feel you have no "in-person" friends you have all of us here to talk to. If you ever need to talk just shoot me an email and I will send you my phone number. I am a good listener.

Kevin

chips

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 03:40:02 pm »
 Charley,

As many have said already. If you make someone happy....... Well you sure made me happy with that portrait stencil you did for me. You can bet I tried to come up with something but I'm finding my talents don't run in that direction. Yours do and for that I sure do thank you.

daneklund

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 05:21:50 pm »
Charlie - You do many good things for all of us here on the forum.  I really enjoyed chatting you one-on-one that night on the chat line and you stayed on and listened to me.  If I can do anything to help, please don't hesitate to email and I will be back in touch.  Take Care.

Rightarm

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 06:26:43 pm »
    I just had a great idea! Lets everybody get together and go to Charlies house for a 3 day Scroll-fest. We can pitch tents and put up camper trailers in his back yard. Smoke some bones, drink beer, and scroll to are hearts content! It would be really cool to meet everybody. Share ideas, have a good time. We'll cheer Charlie up, and ourselfs as well!!!!! Whats everbody think about that? Dave ;D

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 07:01:04 pm »
Never been to Texas. Just might be a ton of fun! ;)
Dan In Southern California

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 07:33:12 pm »
Charlie, you are an inspiration to more than you know.  I for one wish you all the best.
best regards,

Bud Prine

ufgator

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 07:57:05 pm »
Charlie, I'm glad to be part of your Family and most of all I'd be Happy to be a Friend.  Thanks for all you do for all of us!

Bill

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 07:57:14 pm »
I'm in....I have never been to Texas either. Shouldn't we tell Charlie before we all are knocking at his door..LOL  :o
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:01:16 pm by Russ[C] »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi