Author Topic: I got's me a DILEMNA!!!!  (Read 1319 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
I got's me a DILEMNA!!!!
« on: December 14, 2011, 10:47:35 pm »
I have a scrapbook cover that I want to use the BLO formula on.

Problem...too darn big for any container I have on hand.

What about 'brushing' the solution on several times?

Suggestions?  I know...go get a sheet cake pan! But that is a 'sheety' solution!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: I got's me a DILEMNA!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 11:06:18 pm »
Make a pool from a single sheet of a plastic film such as house vapour barrier film.  Lift and support the edges with pieces of wood such as 2x4s. 

Good luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:32:35 pm »
Hey GB, I use several containers to soak my projects. I have two different sizes of baking pans, a large cooking sheet, and a large oil pan that you would put under a leaking car. I use a large basting bulb to suck up the oil to put the oil back in the jar.
You could apply the oil with a brush, but you want to keep the project "wet", so you want to keep the oil contained. Thats where the cookie sheet comes in handy!
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 11:38:18 pm »
OK...I give up...

Off to the Dollar store in the morning to buy a cookie sheet with a lip.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 12:18:37 am »
Hey Ed,  How about a plastic garbage bag?  Put in the wood, then put in some blo.  Then rotate over and over in all directions, take a break, then do it again.  As long as you finish before the oil eats a hole in the plastic, you should be fine, and you didn't have to buy a sheet pan.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 12:41:50 am »
Thank You Bill....That is exactly how I do salads or coleslaw when I am doing a big dinner job!

Thanks for getting to think outside the box...only have to 'swish' it for about 5 - 7 minutes.

~~~GB~~~

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 01:11:01 am »
Ed, I brush all my BOL on because of the high cost of buying in NZ, I just drench it on and it doesn't take long
its a matter of personal preference
Jimbo

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 01:43:39 am »
Thank You Bill....That is exactly how I do salads or coleslaw when I am doing a big dinner job!

Thanks for getting to think outside the box...only have to 'swish' it for about 5 - 7 minutes.

~~~GB~~~
I just hope the bag doesn't Break!
Dan In Southern California

tux_linux

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 07:01:36 am »
and I hope the wood get's the BLO everywhere  -I guess the bag is not the best solution.

You can use a brush. Just make sure to "paint" completely. the "keeping wet" is not needed imho - the wood is already dead, no need to drown it.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 07:38:56 am »
When I first started using lemon oil I brushed it on. Worked great, no problems. Dipping it is just easier.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Mainewoods

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 07:52:58 am »
I use a brush too, when an item is too big to dip.  I'll stand the item on end in the tray, then bush on the BLO very liberally.  I know Dan likes to soak his work for several minutes, but for me, once its good and wet, that's enough for me.  I'm just trying to bring out the grain, not preserve it, unless its something for outdoor use.  My2C

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 09:37:56 am »
If the bag breaks, just get out the slip n slide and have a party! ;D

Actually if you use a bag intended for construction clean up or leaves etc, there isn't much chance of it breaking.  That is what I used routinely to transport 5 and 6 foot rattlesnakes and I've never had one break yet.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 10:01:58 am »
You can easily flood enough BLO on with a brush.  I usually use an old one that I don't care about much.  Working it into the frets can be kind of hard on the bristles, so I don't want to use one of my good brushes.  I lay the piece on an old towel or t-shirt and just slather it on.  For bigger projects or more 3 dimensional stuff like clocks, I've used one of those misting sprayers like you use to water your plants.  Makes a mess, but it gets it in all the nooks & crannies.

Just a reminder for those who maybe haven't heard this PSA before, take great care in handling and disposing of BLO soaked rags.  Under the right circumstances, they are prone to spontaneous combustion.  I take mine outside, lay them flat and allow them to dry before disposing of them.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

SMF

Teknoromi