Author Topic: Ornament Help  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
Ornament Help
« on: December 13, 2011, 10:53:42 pm »
Hey Guys and Gals, I have to tell you guys ,when I have a problem you are all great in helping me out.Ok Question. I purchased a few ornament patterns with the names on them from Steve.I am using 1/4 baltic birch.If I dip them in the lemon oil, how long to dry and what do I use as the finish coat.I know I saw it somewhere in the forum before but I can't find it and time is running out before Christmas.I also have a few days of pretty warm weather coming my way so I would like to finish them up.Whats your advice. Thanks Dave....

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Ornament Help
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:06:25 pm »
Hey Dave, I don't use lemon oil so I don't know how to finish it, but here is what I do. I use a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. After soaking and wiping off the excess oil, I let dry for 24 hours. After it is dry, I apply Deft semi gloss spray lacquer.
I think Steve applies his topcoat on the lemon oil the next day too, but I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 11:08:26 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 01:19:55 pm »
You got it right Dan.  At least that's how I do it.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Mainewoods

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 01:30:32 pm »
Dave,

The lemon oil won't dry.  You can lay an oiled piece on a paper towel a week after you dunked it, and it will still leave oil stains.  The good news is, you don't have to wait for it to dry.  You can topcoat it once you're sure you've removed all the excess oil.  I've used lacquer, enamel and acrylic as finish coats  with no issues.  Just make sure you've gotten all the excess oil off.  If you're giving the item a quick dunk in the lemon oil, you can pretty much just wipe it dry and start spraying.  If you let it soak in the lemon oil, you'll want to let it sit overnight to ensure no more oil is going to seep out of the wood's pores. 

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 01:36:11 pm »
I use Lemon Oil but let mine dry over night minimum of 12 hours, then wipe again with a paper towel before the starting the finish. You have to use a lacquer for the first coat to seal in the lemon oil. You can then apply clear acrylic, poly or more coats of lacquer. 
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 02:36:55 pm »
Hey dgman, mineral spirits? is that what we call white spirit in the UK?  I have got boiled linseed oil so if it is white spirit I can try that finish. You said the lemon oil doesnt dry, does the BLO fonish dry ok ?
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 03:14:31 pm »
Keefie: I think in the UK it wood be called Turpentine (turps) White Spirit is different again and can be quite dangerous. I have been known too be wrong on the odd occasion.

***Merlin*** 
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 03:34:18 pm »
Mineral spirits is deodorized paint thinner. You can use paint thinner but it will stink a lot longer. I don't know what it is called in the UK. By adding the mineral spirits it allows the BLO to dry faster, so yes, it will completely dry in 24 to 36 hours depending on the humidity.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 04:29:42 pm »
You guys are great. Thanks for the ideas.And I still have 11 days to finish.Nothing like cutting it close....Dave

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 10:28:26 am »
Like Dan, I don't use lemon oil, but use boiled linseed oil, thinned with mineral spirits.  In fact, I'm in the midst of finishing a bunch of ornaments now.  I applied the BLO a few days ago and am topcoating with shellac.  Shellac has become my favorite finish for scroll work and spraying it is my method of choice.  It dries so fast, I can apply multiple coats in a day.  I started spraying early this morning and I expect to have all 70 ornaments finished with 2-3 coats, both sides by late this afternoon.  They will be dry enough to handle and give away by tomorrow.

I don't always apply BLO first.  In this case, the ornaments are made from cherry & ash and I wanted to darken the cherry to get good contrast with the ash.  The amber tint in the oil works best with darker woods like cherry, walnut, mahogany, etc, to really pop the grain.  I typically skip the BLO if I'm using a lighter colored wood and want to maintain the light color.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

SMF

Teknoromi