Author Topic: Retirement is here  (Read 1985 times)

chief

Retirement is here
« on: December 10, 2011, 04:32:43 pm »
Well I retired from the Navy after 20 years of service last Friday Dec 2nd.  My wife surprised me big time.  She had my whole family fly out, my dad and stepmom from Chicago, my mom from Florida, my Sister and her family from Dallas, and my brother and his family from California.  I didnt know they were coming until they al showed up for the ceremony.  We had a great weekend with the family together.  We got drunk Friday, and then got in a bar fight, and had to call my mom to pick us up from the bar.  She wasnt very happy when her grown children had to call for a ride.  I sat around the house all week and I am going crazy already. 
I am waiting for a call for a job interview with the shipyard, probably wont hear anything until after the first of the year.
Everyone of my Sailors attended the ceremony and made me so proud and sad at the same time.  The Chief that took over my job started crying when he read "The Watch", which is a poem that tells you have been relieved of your duties and they now have the watch.  My wife got all choked up when I presented her with the flag from the passing of the flag ceremony, she was totally surprised.  I got really choked up when I read "The Snipes Lament" which is a tribute to the sailors that work in the enigneering plants.  It was originally written about the old 1200 psi boiler plants that literally ate men alive.  It meant a lot to me because my first 2 ships were old 1200 psi carriers. 

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement is here
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 05:04:01 pm »
Typical damn sailors!!!

Bar Fight? At Your AGE?  SHAME on you!

But did you have fun?

Congratulations and Thank You for all that service!!!

I truly hope all goes well with the interview...Keep us posted...AND scroll brother, scroll!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

daliclimbs

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 05:05:15 pm »
Wow! Congratulations on reaching such an amazing milestone! Bar fight and all LOL. I wish You all the luck with the new job and hope you have a wonderful new year!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 12:51:01 am »
Chief you better have won that fight! Give sailors and Chiefs especially a bad name if you didn't.
Anchors aweigh my friend, good luck with the interview. Maybe you can get some cutting done while waiting.  What Carriers did you serve on?
USS Intrepid crew member,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

chief

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 01:45:17 am »
Gabby if there is one thing I learned in 20 years NO ONE wins in a fight, too much is at stake in a drunken bar brawl.  I tried to break it up.
I was on the USS CONSTELLATION, USS KITTY HAWK, and USS NIMITZ.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 04:35:44 am »
Chief when I was being transferred to Cuba, they put me on the Kitty Hawk, and before we could sail one of the boilers had a malfunction, they ended up flying me down on a Gooney Bird, since the carrier was going to require repairs this was in 1962 I think. Do you know what happened?
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SheGold

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 05:06:43 am »
Wow Chief .. Bar fight? (shaking head) I can amagine Mom wanted to pinch all of your heads off.. Oh well water under the bridge now... Hey you take care and know I appreciate all your service.. Daughter was on the USS Nimitz... Sheila

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 06:31:20 am »
nice! It will take some time to get you out of that "Navy mood". But you will survive re-socialization.

Now get in the shop and show us some cuttings!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 08:15:23 am »
Congratulations and thank you for 20 years of service. 

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 11:18:05 am »
Congrats on 20 years.  My husband was in the Navy for 15 years.  He was on the USS Thomas C Hart and I forget the names of the other ships.  I know he decommisioned one of them (??? Name).  He was also a Chief (kitchen) kept everybody well fed!  Where did you decommission?  Hubby was Mayport.

If nothing else we have the Best Insurance and pension isn't bad either!

Take some time and do a little scrolling and relaxing, you will be back in the daily grind fast enough.
ChelCass

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 09:59:09 pm »
I checked with hubby and the other ship was the Mobile Bay and he commissioned this ship not decommissioned.   :)
ChelCass

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 12:10:23 am »
Congratulations on your retirement and on having such a great family to care so much to come to your ceremony.  It will probably take you some time to get your land legs, enjoy your time on the saw.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 07:34:25 am »
Congratulations on your retirement and thanks for your 20 years of service. Hope you have as much fun as I am having after retirement.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Mainewoods

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 07:12:39 pm »
Congrats Chief!  Get ready for some bigtime changes in life!  After I retired from the Air Force after 22 years, it was quite a shocker to see how all those civilians live!  Good luck to you!!!

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 08:50:37 pm »
Enjoy your retirement, if you don't it's your own fault.  Keeping busy is the key and every person has a different definition for keeping busy.  I'm going on 3 yrs. retirement and have never wished I was back working.  Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

SMF

Teknoromi