Author Topic: Books & Magazines  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Raptor66

• View Profile
Books & Magazines
« on: December 05, 2011, 09:07:29 pm »
I'm new to scroll sawing and am always looking to learn through reading.  Any suggestions??

Thank you!

Chris
Chris

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
Re: Books & Magazines
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 10:33:12 pm »
Scrollsaw Woodworking and Crafts is a great magazine, But I would highly suggest watching Steve Goods (This Forums Originator) videos, and reading his blog. Participating in this forum is the absolute best way to come up to speed really quick on all things Scroll Saw related.

Here is the link to Steve Good's blog, just in case you don't already have it. http://www.scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/

Kick back, relax and enjoy this forum, is your best bet!

Bob

PS...You really will enjoy your new hobby.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:35:24 pm by TripleB »

tux_linux

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 04:17:06 am »
yeah, i'm also recommending the Scrollsaw Woodworking and Crafts Magazine.
You can subscribe even if you're not living in the US. I get my copy in Germany usually 1 week later than the US subscribers.

Best to learn is by doing it. We all went through this and have produced some designer firewood - I still have enough of that output.

Graywolf

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 09:15:29 am »
OH, yeah. Stay on this site and read everything you can. I am new to scrolling also. I don't know what I would do with out the great people here. They are always ready to help. Keep asking questions and keep scrolling!

ShadowB6

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 11:18:10 am »
I agree with the others above. One thing I do also is keep an eye on ebay for books. If they're reasonably priced and the shipping charges are decent, I'll either bid or use the "buy it now" feature. Once the price is over my limit, I'll wait for another one. Over the past several years, I've gained a nice library of patterns from these books. It's also how I learned to scroll as this forum and others didn't exist when I started to scroll. There are several great technique books out there, but this forum is by far the place place to get advice or have a question answered. It's unbelievable how helpful the members of this forum are.

Mike

Offline glenn wouters

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 02:27:24 pm »
I learned most of what i know here.
It's ok to ask questions, people here are happy to share there know-how.
And as someone else said here before, watch the video's of Steve Good.
He's very clear in what he's saying and doing, and he shows the do's and don't's very well.

you can read a lot, but you still learn the most by scrolling itself.
Most important is that you have fun!!!!

Greetings Glenn, Belgium

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 09:46:18 pm »
I am farily new to scrolling and the best way is to see it done. I have followed Steve videos and lesson series have learned a ton.

Another interesting lesson series is Shelia Landry on Lumberjocks.

http://lumberjocks.com/scrollgirl/blog/series/4134

Enjoy

Don

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 10:14:15 pm »
Between Steve's videos and Sheila's lessons you have a veritable Scroll Saw University....

I would also highly recommend "Creative Woodworks and Crafts" magazine.

And the best thing is PRACTICE! Just keep trying, it will come eventually.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ChuckD

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 11:49:25 pm »
One thing everyone in the scrollsaw field should do is visit Rick Hutchinson site. www.scrollsaws.com.  There is more information there than you can shake a stick at.  I will check the address and correct it if necessary, but you can't lose by going there.

zgrimsley

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 11:05:13 pm »
The way I learn is on this forum and scrolling. People on here gives tips that make it easier but nothing like working in the shop and figure out how to do little things that will help you.

Offline Northerner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 10:07:42 pm »
the best way to learn is to buy a bunch of blades and just start tearing through some wood!
perfect practice makes perfect

but also, there is tons of great websites and lots of excellent videos to learn from and Steve
has a LOT of experience and has some great videos posted so just start watching and learning
and dont EVER be afraid to ask for help... there is no stupid questions!
I love the smell of sawdust in the morning!

SMF

Teknoromi