Author Topic: lumber  (Read 1829 times)

Dav

lumber
« on: May 14, 2010, 11:21:14 pm »
does anyone know shere I can purchase the 1 inch lumber for steve,s cross and other projects ... Local yards only have tne 3/4 inch ..

AnotherSteve

Re: lumber
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 08:59:32 am »
Good question Dav.  I was thinking exactly the same thing after seeing Steve's round inlaid box pattern.  I guess the answer would be to plane it down yourself, but lots of us don't have that equipment. 

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 09:10:40 am »
I'm just curious how do you plane down 3/4" to 1"?   You will have to go to a specialty wood store the sells 4/4 stock or a mill.  You can buy it online several places.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

chips

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 09:19:45 am »
 As Dunk mentions a store specializing in lumber might be able to help you. Here in Iowa you can go to the Woodsmith store, or locally we have a Logs to Lumber outfit that has any thickness you want as long as it's native lumber you're looking for.

But, I'm wondering if when Steve talks about using a 1" board he isn't talking about the 3/4" stuff you get at your local lumber yard that's listed as 1" but is actually 3/4".

Offline Wizard of Oz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 09:33:39 am »
Why not just glue two pieces of wood together, and plane to 1"?

Oz

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 08:29:57 pm »
hi dav....you may wanna try eBay, or possibly your local craigslist.

Becky

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 11:40:22 pm »
Dang.  All the lumber easily available here seems to be 1" and I am always wanting it to be 3/4"!  Maybe we should trade houses.   ;)

ripchief

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 07:48:28 am »
If using "lumber yard" measurements this chart is handy:

http://mistupid.com/homeimpr/lumber.htm

If using "craft store" measurements, the board normally measures the same as the numbers that are used.

Places like Lowes, use a combination of these two systems...For example, my local Lowes carries maple in 1/4", 1/2". and 1" thicknesses...The 1" follows the lumber yard measurements, so it is actually 3/4" thick...The 1/4" and 1/2" follow the craft store measurements, so they really are 1/4" and 1/2".

If looking for a board that is milled for 1" thickness, use the lumber yard system, but look for something labelled 5/4 (it's actually 1" thick).

The following link can also be helpful:

http://www.integritywoodproducts.com/bfchart.pdf

Dragonlord85

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 04:47:23 pm »
Here is another site that explains the different ways boards are measured and the difference between linear feet and board feet.

http://sawdustmaking.com/Lumber%20dimensions%20copy/lumber_dimensions_and_term.htm

dankc908

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 06:36:13 am »
Here, in the Omaha metro area, we have a vendor (Midwest Woodworkers) that sells all sorts of exotic and domestic hardwoods in 4/4, 5/4, 8/4, etc. thicknesses.  When I'm in the Des Moines area I will go to the Woodsmith Store, as well, as Chip mentioned.

SMF

Teknoromi