Author Topic: First scrollsaw class!!  (Read 5683 times)

math2010

First scrollsaw class!!
« on: November 28, 2011, 12:32:13 pm »
Hi Gang!!!

I've just had my first scrollsaw class... In Canada (Quebec), scrollsaw is not very popular. So, I had to make some research (about one year) to find someone who teach this technique. I finally found one. I wanted to know if I was the problem or the saw was the problem, because with the Mastercraft saw, I was unable to make someting because of the big intermitent vibration (They change my saw one time and told me that I cannot expect to cut wood with...). Finally, the saw was the problem! The class let us use some old Delta scrollsaw and it was a dream to work with. Next step, I have to buy another saw. But where i live, the only respectable brand available is the Excalibur (others are Ryobi, Haussman, Skill). I'll probably go with the Ex-16. Eventually, I'll post some pictures of what I made.

Have a good day!
Math

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: First scrollsaw class!!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 01:39:30 pm »
Hi Math:
I am happy to read that you found a place to teach you scroll sawing.  I am also happy that you decided that you need to make an investment and get a decent saw.  So many times, I hear from people who have very cheap saws and are quite frustrated about scroll sawing or give it up altogether.  From my point of view, it is a losing battle from the beginning.  If you start with sub-standard equipment, there is just no way you will be able to succeed using it. 

I have been sawing for over 15 years and if I were to try to cut something on one of those types of saws, I would in all likelihood fail too.  There are just too many limitations and obstacles when using those types of saws. 

I realize more than you may think how difficult it can be to make the plunge and purchase a nice saw.  I know that money is tight for many people (myself included) and it took me years before I could even think of getting an Excalibur.  Up until that point I had a (type 1) De Walt, which was at least a decent saw.  But after having my Ex-21 for several months, I am so happy that I made that choice.  I have never cut so well and my partner says the same thing.  It just makes everything "easier."

Then hardest question I get is "What kind of saw should I get?" I find it difficult to tell someone to spend the kind of money that the good saws require, but I hate to tell them to get a lesser saw, knowing that will give them a host of problems. 

One solution is to look for a good used saw on Craig's list or something like that.  Many people try scroll sawing and for one reason or another don't continue to do it.  Often you can find good used saws for a fraction of the cost of new ones.  You just need to be patient.

Sorry to be so long, but I think this is a good point of discussion and again, I am happy that you are going to make an investment in your new hobby.  I don't think you will regret it.  Congratulations!

Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 02:10:40 pm »
Math, Welcome!  Glad to see you are making progress.  Sheila is being modest, in not telling you that she has an online scrollsaw class over at www.lumberjocks.com.  I think you would find her class beneficial as well.  Good decision on the saw, and I second her opinion that you stand a good chance of finding a good top performing saw on Craigslist.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

ChuckD

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 03:59:58 pm »
The first saw I got was a cheapo.  I had to be on a bike to "ride" the thing around the shop.  I thought that if this is scrolling it is not for me.  So I let it collect dust for five years and finally gave it to a cousin.  He is still not speaking to me and that is the only good thing that saw did.  Then I got a Dermal and used it cutting out 2X4 toy bodies for three years and wore it out.  Then couple of years later went to a state fair and saw a guy using a Hegner, and he let me try it out. And I was hooked.  They say "buy the best you can afford and save for the one you want".  I know that is a fact.  Good luck

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 06:50:28 pm »
Hi Math!

Thanks for posting about your experience.  I'll be teaching my first scroll saw class next Spring and I appreciate hearing of the experiences of beginners and the problems they encounter while trying to learn this craft.  It all will help me develop the curriculum that is of most benefit to the students. 

How many students were in your class?  What kind of things did you do?  I think I have a pretty good handle on what the class will consist of, but I'm always willing to learn from the experiences of others.

Good luck and have fun making sawdust!
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:21:36 pm »
Math,

I'm also in Quebec (Montreal) and got my saw at Busy Bee in Ottawa.  It's a Delta 40-690 which is the same as the Dewalt 788.  So far it has worked quite well for me.  I notice that Busy Bee has a 788 with stand and light for $545.  http://www.busybeetools.com/products/SCROLL-SAW-20IN.-CW-STAND-AND-LIGHT-DEWALT.html  There are other posts on this forum about the advantages and disadvantages of the 788 so it is your choice.

The Haussman is the Rona house brand line.  I looked at it but decided on the Delta, even though it was more expensive.  While I was shopping, the ease of blade change was a significant factor in my purchasing decision.

Good luck,
Jim

Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

math2010

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 08:44:22 pm »
Thanks all of you for your comments!

To Sheila: Thank you very much! You really convince me to go with a great saw (Excalibur). I'll probably get a new one, because I'm the kind of person who always get troubles with used tools... And with a new one, I have a warranty.

I'm very happy to know that you have a website to help people... I'll go see that!!! Thanks to BilltheDiver for the tip :-)

By the way, your section is very interesting in Creative Woodworks and Crafts.

To Bill Wilson: In my class, we are three. I'm 31 and the other women are about 70 years old. The first class was an introduction. The teacher explain us the mecanism of the saw, the security things. After we made exercices. Straight lines, curves, puzzles lines,... At the end, we made a little project. The women made simple ornaments. Because I had touch a scrollsaw before, the teacher ask me to pick a little more difficult. So I try to cut a cat (I wanted to atttach picture, but my computer has some problems tonight...). It's not perfect, but I'm very glad because it's the best things I was able to do with the saw at that moment. Each class are 3 hours. I have 3 class of 3 hours. So tomorow is my second class. We are suppose to make a tree and the last class is suppose to be a little basket...

Sorry for my english...

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 04:52:02 am »
Bonjour.

I am from Ontario and bonjour is about the extent of my French.

I have an EX-21 and love it.  Watch the General flyer for sales and then see what you can do.  I bought mine at the time of a woodshow in Woodstock from Federated tools in London Ont for 10% off the flyer price and they included delivery.  Total before tax $735cdn.  My friend just made the same deal as they recently offerred 20% off on a one day deal but shipping was extra.

About your lessons.  Are these being done by a club, an individual or a company like Lee Valley and if so is there a charge? Our woodworking club is thinking about doing lessons for the general public and are going to do for minimal or free and just looking for ideas of costs.

Don

General flyers see page 4
http://www.general.ca/pg_index/flyers_en.html

math2010

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 07:34:18 am »
To Jim: Hi! After reading some reviews on the forum, it seems that the Dewalt has some problems... And after some research, it's approximatively the same price then the EX-16 from Excalibur. I really agree with you that the blade change has to be simple!!!!

To Don: Thanks for the flyers site!!! The price is the same that Langevin & Forest in Montreal...(it's a store like Lee Valley) I guess the Ex-16 has the same technology then the Ex-21 except  for the space (21 inch vs 16 inch)...

For my lessons, it's a woman that give it. I think she's working on scrollsaw everyday. The lessons are from the City falls activities. The cost is 195$ for 9 hours (3 lessons of 3 hours) wood, blades and scrollsaw included. I really had problems to find someone who give lessons, because in Montreal, scrollsaw is not popular.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 08:51:29 pm »
math,

It's true that some people report problems with the Type 2 Dewalt but there could easily be many happy users.  From what I can read, the Type 1 is well liked.

My Delta 40-690 has Type 1 written on the motor.  I can't say if that means the Delta is equivalent to the 788 Type 1 but I have had no problems with my machine.  There are adjustments that improve the operation of the 788s and I have applied some to my 690.  I also assume (subject to correction by those who are in the know) that parts for the 788 would also fit the 690.

The 690 also has a 5 year warranty.

Because everyone has their own likes and dislikes, a 30 day return policy would let you find if the saw fits your style of working.

Good luck with your classes and with you new saw.  Be sure to let us know what you decide on.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

wha

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 11:03:39 pm »
Hi Math, I went through 4 Mastercraft saws in 1 year. After the 4th saw I was able to get an Ex-16 and it made scrolling a lot more fun.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 03:25:31 am »
I have only got a cheap and nasty "Clarke" scrollsaw, it brings new meaning to the word "Basic", but I have decided that there is no point in carrying on with such an inferior saw, so I am saving for an EX-16, very expensive over here at ?449.00 but from what I have read it will pay for itself  soon enough (just in the lack of frustration in changing blades and in trying to poke them into that little hole from underneath and also in trying to get them in that hole without bending the blade or hitting the top arm with the workpiece.)
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

math2010

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 11:58:25 am »
I'll start to shop probabluy Friday in some store around. I'll probably wait after Christmas to buy. Maybe the Ex-16 will be on sale on Boxing day... Sometimes we can save the 15% taxes...

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 09:22:58 am »
It was posted on a Canadian Woodworking site that Langevin & Forest  has no tax sale on now.
http://www.editionsvertes.com/LangevinForest/circulaireNoel/

I think they are also giving free shipping on online orders.

The EX - 21 is $759.  I doesn't say K model.  ie footpetal and stand included.  Good price in Canada if K model.

I have footpetal and love it.  I know others hate it but I would not do without it.

Don

ShadowB6

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 10:21:03 am »
I wrote to General International to get a dealer in Ottawa. They gave me the name of "Ottawa Fasteners" on Richmond Road. I went there and I think the guy's name that I saw was Fred. He was recommended by GI. I saw him and was impressed with his help and what he could tell me of the EX21. I eventually bought, love it and have had no problems or issues with it. It's quiet with no vibration. It now sits in the middle of my shop and is my showpiece tool. Would I buy another one, yes and without even thinking about it. What an incredible step up from the Dremel I had before it.

Mike

SMF

Teknoromi