Author Topic: Mini Nativity  (Read 1059 times)

sailer5373

Mini Nativity
« on: November 21, 2011, 11:50:51 am »
Has anyone tried cutting the mini nativity?  I tried but couldn't cut the fine detail in the figures. They are so small.  I think I will try enlarging the figures.
What have you all done about this?  Were you able to cut them out? :(

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Mini Nativity
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 01:09:08 pm »
I haven't cut it myself but I did look at the pattern. If I were cutting it I would stack cut two layers of 1/4" wood. I would use either a Flying Dutchman UR #1 or an Olsen #2R Blade. With these blades you should be able to cut the details on the figures.
By stacking, you will have better control of the wood, and you will make two projects at the same time!
Dan In Southern California

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 02:28:05 pm »
i think steve good  should do a video on how to cut out the mini nativity from start to end and now short cuts in the videos....   and the screwup in videos as well nothing to be edit from the videos. 

I don't think steve and do it without screwing somthing up... LMAO   
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 09:56:11 pm »
I cut out the Mini nativity mostly with Birds eye Maple 1/4"yesterday.
I enlarged the pattern to 130% and used a # 3 blade
I stack cut two layers with a little glue near the edge to hold the two pieces together
For the Manger I cut one at a time and used a # 7 blade ,didnt have anything larger
Not sure how I want to finnish it. if I want to use a dark stain or what yet.
Any ideas?

Jim

sailer5373

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 08:49:10 am »
I changed to a spiral blade and cut some of the pieces out.  It was much easier but I had to stay way outside the cut line in order for the detail to show up. For those of you who are making the mini nativity, try the spiral blade. I had already made the box (and didn't want to make another)so enlarging was out of the question. 

rochar3

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 10:11:06 am »
I just got finished cutting four of them. Stack cut 2 at a time w/ 1/4 wood. They all came out just fine. Slow down and pay attention and no problem. Real popular w/ friends and neighbors. Will be making some more today. Really neat project.
Bob

joey65746

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 10:13:36 pm »
i cut it out and had no problems i used #1 ur flying ducthmen but i like olsen 2/0r better they are smaller    they are rite stack cut them but win you go to a biger blade you loose sum detail  i cut every thing with the smallest blade i can

SMF

Teknoromi