Author Topic: Excalibur saws  (Read 3038 times)

Offline termite

• View Profile
Excalibur saws
« on: November 20, 2011, 09:43:58 pm »
 why has everyone started saying Excalibur is the saw to have now? they are made in China,probably
the same building as Dewalt, their internal parts are basically the same as Dewalt. has anyone had any problems with knocking or any other stuff in their Excaliburs? thanks for your answers

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Excalibur saws
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 10:58:11 pm »
It seams everybody is getting tired of their DeWalts. You are right about the EX's being made in China or it might be Taiwan. either way, neither saw is made in North America anymore.
Dan In Southern California

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 01:20:55 am »
Taiwan like most things these days, I think the quality is fine but the price is no cheaper than locally made and the other thing when in a small country like NZ the service is lousy and if I had a choice to buy NZ made I would
Jimbo 

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 03:41:32 am »
The Excalibur has another system to move the saw blade. It is said that this one has less vibrations than any other system.

There was a good review somewhere here, I can't find it now. Lots of pictures in it which showed the mechanism that the Excaliburs use.
EDIT: Excalibur EX-21 Review @ stusshed.wordpress.com

Other point is that a lot of our members here have become professional or at least semi-professional over time with the scroll saw stuff, so they need an advanced machine that is designed for "production".

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 11:29:00 am »
If it is an American made saw that you are looking for the "Hawk" scroll saw is what your looking for. It is made in America, in Bushton, Kansas, as a matter of fact.
As a former tool salesman (MAC tools) I don't find much wrong with China or Taiwan made tools as far as quality. A company can get the quality they want, high or low, overseas at a far better labor price.
The problem that I have is that it puts allot of American workers and businesses out of a job. You can thank your local Labor Union steward for that.
Also, the average American wants a Cadillac for Volkswagen prices and that just isn't going to happen regardless of where it is made.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Bill P

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 12:30:56 pm »
Termite, in answer to the last question, about any problems, I've had my EX-30 for about a year, and the only problem I had was some front-to-back movement when I first got it, but was able to fix that by adjusting the motor.

However, the purchase of the EX has caused other problems, such as statements like, "You got the saw of your dreams, now I should get the sewing machine of mine" or "you got a great saw, I should get a great car."  Stuff like that.

Bill

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 12:56:59 pm »
I love mine ex-21 over the damn dewalt anyday my dewalt dw788 has a knock and I did took it in to get it service and the guy told me that not what was wrong with it. now its not under warranty going on 2nd year now. 

SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 01:00:05 pm »
If it is an American made saw that you are looking for the "Hawk" scroll saw is what your looking for. It is made in America, in Bushton, Kansas, as a matter of fact.
Rog
The Problem with Hawk is one can not just go out and buy or order one. you have to go to a woodworking show to buy one!
Dan In Southern California

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 02:15:41 pm »
if you don't like an ex-21 then you must be dead or not from earth.   If you want to why don't you just build a scroll saw out of wood....   there are plans for one. 

SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 10:49:40 pm »
cyberghost, go to Ricks scrollsaw & read what he says about Dewalts problems. there are 4 different
fixes for the knocking problem. i tried all of them before i took mine to a service center. he has a lot of information on scrollsaws.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 11:00:34 pm »
Torsten if you compare diagrams of both saws you will see that they are basically the same saw. i like my Dewalt & if it doesnt start knocking again i will keep using it

tux_linux

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 07:11:25 am »
Yes, please keep the DeWalt. In fact, most US scrollers have one. It's just sometimes aside of the other saw.

As I said, some need to produce. The 788 is a fine machine, but I doubt it is made for professional use, for running most of the day/all year long.
I have broken a hobby machine before I switched to a decent semi-professional machine(Hegner). Now I can operate the saw all day long and the engine does not heat up even when cutting thick/hard stuff.

jim stiek

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 08:17:44 am »
dgman
you can mail order hawk saws as far as I know and they are still available.
jim

rochar3

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 10:17:07 am »
Rog
The Problem with Hawk is one can not just go out and buy or order one. you have to go to a woodworking show to buy one!

You can go to their website and purchase the Hawk of your dreams. People are very accommodating. I have a G24 and am very happy with the saw and the service.

msdameng

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 10:40:00 am »
I think scrollsawers have a group mentality!! Several people started jumping ship on Dewalt and now a lot more are following!!!  

SMF

Teknoromi