Author Topic: Shop quirks and rituals..  (Read 4838 times)

Offline beginner

• Maker of custom fire wood
    • View Profile
Re: Shop quirks and rituals..
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 07:52:49 pm »
Country and coffee
Jim

tux_linux

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 01:31:43 am »
new ritual:

Check if saw is set to square angle  ::)

I have cut 3 puzzle yesterday evening. When I started to cut the pieces I figured out that my saw was tilt like 1?. Luckily I could work it out to have the animals stand straight...

Offline Leldon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 03:43:03 am »
Well, after I turn the lights on  ;D I walk over and flip the 6 plug thing and turn on another light and the radio!  If nothing is good on the radio I sometimes use my iPhone.  Then have to decide which way I wanna go that day!

Offline sciesaw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 10:39:06 am »
No rituals for me.
The sawing itself is ritual enough

Brian

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 10:58:11 am »
I like most music but find I myself listening to long hair classical 98% most of the time.  The music relaxes me while my coffee picks me up.  I could scroll 'til the wee hours of the night.  Brian

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 12:08:40 pm »
I really don't have any quirks or rituals. It depends on my mood if I listen to the radio, CD's, (country music) watch Cable TV or DVD's with surround sound. Surf the internet sometimes and post. If it's hot I run the AC, cold I turn on the heat. In the afternoon I sometimes have a few brewskis. Oh and yes there is saw dust being made. LOL  8)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:12:11 pm by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 07:22:06 pm »
Ritual, what ritual, the saw is too loud to listen to music, it's too dusty to bring my $300.00 IPod in there, if I bring in a beer, coffee, softdrink I forget about it until I am finished, the shed is too far from the house to run cable for a TV. and I don't dear turn my back to the door as guaranteed someone will come in and goose me.  and I don't like THAT. Damm, I still jump when a blade breaks. I always light the stove when I first go in, I guess that is my ritual ;D Have a great weekend everyone, and while you scroll let the sawdust pile up , enjoy whatever it is that turns your crank :P
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 02:33:17 am »
Firstly switch the radio on, then switch the heater on , then switch everything else on my mind off and scroll away till my hearts content ! Bliss  ;)
War does not determine who is right - Only who is left !

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 03:17:20 pm »
Well I'm sort of out of the loop now that winter is setting in, what I wouldn't give for an 8 by 10 like Bill's! When I'm able I have my radio tuned to the only Country and Western station KRWQ that reaches my hidden valley, light up the lights turn on the fan to blow the dust away, pop a top on a Pepsi and get with the program on whatever project I have going at the moment. This past summer they were playing some good tunes and I really enjoyed that! I couldn't tell you who was singing what since I don't keep track of the singers like I used to.
Yesterday we had our first taste of winter with a dusting of snow around dusk but it quit and is all melted off now. Man I hate snow!
Stay warm folks I envy you your snug shops.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 03:22:18 pm »
I always have the radio on. it's connected to the light switch so I don't forget to turn it on..... hahaha
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 09:59:50 pm »
since I am a lay Pastor, I listen to preaching and good ole souther gosple music.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 02:15:17 am »
CDROVER
Find a way to set up a bell or something that they have to ring coming through the door or turn your set up around so you can see. If you bashed those goosers a couple of times they wouldn't think it was so funny. IT ISN'T!!!!  >:( >:(
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

canadasgall

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 05:31:58 am »
well after i put on my old cloths (my dog knows when  i change she always comes with me) we stop to check the chickens and look for eggs ( she always gets one thats her treat) then we go inthe shop turn on the heat have a coffee and a few smokes on hand turn on the radio and start cutting, my dog lays by the door so nobody comes in without me knowing

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 09:12:42 am »
Well I go in the garage, turn on the heater, make sure all the lights are working, put on my safety glasses, put on my head cover (have to keep the dust and crap out of that CI processor), get my holes drilled and start the saw and enjoy listening to the interesting sounds of motor humm, blade interacting with the various areas of the wood ( they do sound different now), and hope no one opens the damn garage door and lets all my warm air out....

We all listen to different symphonies, don't we!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my scrolling friends!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 06:33:39 pm »
Personally the first thing I do is plug in my IPOD and choose from a number of playlists, all country of course.  Most of the year I can leave the doors open with a fan running.  When it is too hot I have a window banger A/C hanging in the window.  When it is too cold (not often here) I plug in a pair of industrial halogen lights which boosts both the temperature and the light levels.  My shop is 10 by 17 so it doesn't take much heating or cooling to make a difference.  I go in when I need a drink.  No where safe to put a glass out there, and it would gather sawdust or shavings anyway.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi