Author Topic: sharpening stone  (Read 1022 times)

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
sharpening stone
« on: November 11, 2011, 06:05:13 pm »
What are a good pocket sharpening stone to get to take off the burr off the back of the blades.

is this a good one for that   
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1286557&kw=sharpening+stone&origkw=sharpening+stone&searchId=53385891554
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:07:09 pm by cyberghost »
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

UHMNL

Re: sharpening stone
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 08:19:36 pm »
Be very carefull when taking the burr off.
Easy to hit the teeth and dull the blade. Just move the wood some degree to the right.
That way it is easy to stay on the line. Make sure you have good tension and good speed and let the blade do the cutting.
FD Mike

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 11:17:55 pm »
I've never done that to a blade, but it looks like a good stone.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 11:52:47 pm »
I actually use the burr to my advantage. I use it to clean up the little nub that is left when you do an inside cut, or if I stray off the line a little. I go back with the burr side of the blade and "shave" away the imperfection. As far as blade drift caused by the burr, it's automatic for me to correct it.
Dan In Southern California

Terry Jackson

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 12:04:44 am »
If you do the back of the blade to make quicker turns, no problem.  If you use it to remove the burr you may also remove the set and find there is not enough clearance for the blade.  Slower cutting and possibly burning from friction.  The burr is a feature, not a bug.  There are other blade designs that do not use or have a burr.  You may want to try a few of them.  Or Not.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 12:20:13 am »
I used to round off the back corners, but found it was more trouble than benefit. So I don't bother with it anymore.
Dan In Southern California

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 02:48:01 pm »
I use the burr to my to my advantage as well I thought maybe try it. It does help a little to take the burr off. I set the scroll saw on low and go slowly back of the blade and round it off. seems to work better when cutting long lines.   PS....   I had it with my dewalt scroll saw  getting way to loud. and the guy at acme tools didn't want to fix it when it was under warranty.  I guess there was a defective part that dewalt said that needs to be replace and it is a type 2 dewalt scroll saw and i told the guy there and the guy didn't listen and kind of upset me. 

that way i got the ex-21 to replace the dewalt 788 scroll saw.  but from time to time i use the dewalt for other blades.

shame on me for letting steve here talking me into getting one LOL  and shame on me for getting one lol..

SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

SMF

Teknoromi