Author Topic: baltic birch plywood dulling the blades  (Read 3581 times)

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
baltic birch plywood dulling the blades
« on: November 08, 2011, 03:55:37 pm »
I was wondering does the baltic birch plywood dull the scroll blades faster then solid wood.

I use a olson  speedmatch  SR #3 blade.  

For the other people out that use the FD blades and tell me to get some.   i have try them  all they do is burn the baltic birch plywood and soft pine wood don't mater what I do and don't cut well.  so i'm back to the olson blades.  I have talk to steve good and mike about this.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:11:03 pm by cyberghost »
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
Re: baltic birch plywood dulling the blades
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 03:58:40 pm »
In general, plywood dulls blades faster than most solid woods, due to the adhesives used to bond the plys together. 
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

UHMNL

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 07:17:41 pm »
Bill is righ. Glue is hard on blades.
I have cut a lot of Baltic birch for ornaments. Stack cut up to 3/4". For the very intricate cuttings I used a UR # 1 and # 3. Hade very good tension and high speed. Put 2" clear package tape  over the pattern.
Never had any burn marks.
FD Mike

cameronj

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:52:22 pm »
Yes, I find the blades become dull faster when I am cutting stacks of baltic birch.  I also cut lots of hardwood, especially walnut and black cherry.  I have 2 rows of tubes in my blade rack....the front row is brand new blades.  The row behind has the blades that are too dull for hardwood.  Then when I am going to cut bb ply, I use one of the "used" blades and throw it out when it is too dull for the bb ply.  I rarely have to use a brand new blade for cutting plywood, unless I am cutting alot of it.
Jim

tux_linux

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 04:12:36 am »
do you use tape to have some lubrication for the blade? that helps a lot. Try putting some on the pack of the wood too.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 06:36:07 am »
do you use tape to have some lubrication for the blade? that helps a lot. Try putting some on the pack of the wood too.

yes with the olson and the FD blades  I use painter tape. I clue the patters to the painter tape
and then tape the stack together.  but I don't have an issue with the olson blades just with the FD blades that mike sent me as a sample that burn the BB plywood.  I'm not sure if they are just an bad bach of blades or not sharp as the matchspeed oldson blades.   So i'm just going to stick with the oldson and forget about the FD blades for now.   
I still have to fine tune my scroll saw  maybe i'll just have to play in a band using my scroll saw and play chirstmas songs on the scroll saw lol...........

tux_linux

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 02:12:14 pm »
how much do you stack?
But anyway, some like FD, some like Olsen - and some even use both brands. You need to get used to "your" blades and then stick to what works best.

UHMNL

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 03:04:06 pm »
Torsten,
The tape does not lubricate the blade. The tape has a chemical on top so you can un-roll the tape. This is some kind of silicone what releases friction.
FD Mike

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 04:04:05 am »
how much do you stack?
But anyway, some like FD, some like Olsen - and some even use both brands. You need to get used to "your" blades and then stick to what works best.

I stack 1/8 thick BB plywood up to 3 boards  and the 1/4 think stack 2 about 1/2   but i could try some ky-jelly on the blades

The mikey FD blades are bad ones that he sent me they just don't cut all that great in the BB burns the BB and any soft wood like pine..

jim stiek

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 08:18:37 am »
You didn't say which F.D. blades you were using I have never had the problems you are talking about using the blades from Mike

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 01:37:42 pm »
You didn't say which F.D. blades you were using I have never had the problems you are talking about using the blades from Mike

the ones he sent me was the FD SR #3   and the FD Ultra Reverse 3#  he sent me 2 set of each

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 04:38:06 pm »
Well I just gots to put in my two cents worth....  I have been using the
FD-UR 1-3-5 and 7 and I use on a Hegner.  The FD blades were breaking at the top pretty often.  Made me feel the FD blades were faulty, so ordered a batch of Olsen blades.  Well they also were breaking, but not as often.
Basically after talking to the Hegner service rep. I have determined my problem was simply OPERATOR TROUBLE!.  Thats right ME.  LOL  After applying what they said I have been using the FD blades and have cut a simple ornament stacked 3 high out of BB 1/8".  Have successfully completed 3 different ornaments this way and Hey Guess what DIDN'T HAVE A BREAK.

My feelings are YES both Olsen and FD blades do a good job, but for my money I will ALWAYS USE THE Flying Dutchman brand.  UR only.

Thanks for reading....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 06:57:26 pm »
Well I just gots to put in my two cents worth....  I have been using the
FD-UR 1-3-5 and 7 and I use on a Hegner.  The FD blades were breaking at the top pretty often.  Made me feel the FD blades were faulty, so ordered a batch of Olsen blades.
My feelings are YES both Olsen and FD blades do a good job, but for my money I will ALWAYS USE THE Flying Dutchman brand.  UR only.

Thanks for reading....  Danny  :+}

I never broke a blade. the FD blade in my case was burning the wood and the olsen blade didn't. and I think the model of the olsen blades i use were the matchspeed blades #3 SR....   I have a dewalt dw788  and ex-21  I try both scroll saws with the fd blades and both burn the BB plywood.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 07:56:30 pm »
In my limited experience I discovered the only time I was burning the wood was when I was putting too much sideways force against the blade. As long as I was feeding the wood properly to the blade not a problem especially when I gained the confidence to just use finger tip pressure on the wood.
Early on when I was cutting larger pieces that tended to tip up against the blade and catch. That I was holding down with my free hand much too hard and couldn't feel the action and consequently would apply way too much side force with the free hand. Heating of the blade also caused it to loose the temper of the blade when it was made and break more often and get dull faster too.
I hope this helps,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 08:40:40 pm »
i guess i'll just have to play around with more this weekend.  right now i'm a call.. 

SMF

Teknoromi