Author Topic: Need Help to select a new planer  (Read 2165 times)

wha

Need Help to select a new planer
« on: November 05, 2011, 06:10:06 pm »
I just bought a dewalt 735 and I really don't like it so i'll be taking it back.

I'm looking at getting the dewalt 734 or Delta 22-590. Any advice would be great.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:50:54 pm by wha »

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Need Help to select a new planer
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 11:13:32 pm »
Hey Wha, I'm curious as to what you don't like about the 735. It is the highest rated portable planer out there.
I have the DeWalt 733 which is the predecessor of the 734. The difference is the 734 has three blades where the 733 only has two blades. I think the 734 has variable speed, The 733 dose not. I love my planner. It has been a work horse for close to ten years. I have not tried any other planer, but I would recommend the 734.
Dan In Southern California

wha

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 11:20:57 pm »
I don't have a dust collection system so all the shavings blow all over the place.
I've planed two boards down to 3/16 and each time it chipped a piece off the end of the board
and jammed up the blower and I would have to take it apart to get the piece out that would not
go through the blower.

Any thoughts on the Delta?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 11:25:52 pm by wha »

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 11:45:33 pm »
I have no experience with the Delta. How much wood are you taking off at a time? I take a very minimal amount at a time, about 1/32" or less at a time. Also what kind of wood are you trying to plane.? If it is highly figured, you will get the chipping.
As far as the wood chips getting all over the place, that will happen with most other planners if you are not using a dust collector. There is one out there that has a collection bag, but I can't remember who sells it.

wha

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 11:51:25 pm »
I take of 1/32. I'm using maple and birch. My old planer the shavings just fell to the floor, with the 735
it blows them all over the place.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 12:18:45 am »
Take a look at this attachment for chip collector.
Gabby
http://www.dewalt.com/tools/portable-thickness-planer-attachments-dw7353.aspx
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 12:40:15 am »
The 735 has a built in blower for the exhaust, Can it be disconnected? If not, look into the attachment shown above. It really needs to be used with dust collection.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:41:40 am by dgman »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 07:21:57 am »
I agree with Dan. The DeWalt planers are the best. I haven't had any problems with my 734. Most planers manufactured now are designed for a dust collection system. As far as chipping a piece off the end of the board that is either operator error or the wood stock you are using. I have only had it happen a couple of time in the last few years and each time it was the wood.   8) 
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

DaveP

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 08:26:41 am »
Just to throw an idea into the pot.

Would in most cases a sander not be more suitable / useful (something like the Sand Flee) ?

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 09:02:49 am »
Not really.  While you can get a smooth surface you can not ensure that the whole surface is flat and square to the sides.  A planer will do that job much better.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline kimb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 09:25:15 am »
I have a 735 and I love it. I haven't seen the attachment in Gabby's link before, I might get me one. I plan to get a dust collector when I can afford it, but for now I just connected a piece of flexible dryer duct to it and I stick it out the door when I use it. Works pretty good. The built in exhaust fan is to assist the dust collector if you have one.

Kim

wha

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 12:45:02 pm »
Wife solved the problem, she told me she paid 800.00 for it so deal with it.
It turned out that the chip out at the end of the board is due to the board.
It also helped when I slowed it down once I hit 1/4" and only turn the handle
1/4 of a turn at a time. I'll have to look at getting the attachment Gabby
mentioned.

Thanks all.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 02:33:36 pm »
BOY!! Ya had me going there for a minute!! I have the DW 735 planer and LOVE it.
I grant that it is much nicer with a dust collector to get the chips but, De Walt does offer a catcher bag to go with it that fits over a trash can.
I bought a used Jet dust collector and it does make all the difference in the world. The first time I used mine, I almost drowned my son-in-law in chips. Then I got a length of hose and the collector bag which helped allot before I got a dust collector.
Don't even think about using a shop vac! You will clog up the vac hose so fast you can't believe it. A shop vac just can't keep up with the best bench planer on the market!

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

rob roy

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 05:41:32 pm »
Hi Wha, it could be the out feed rollers need checking if it is the end of the board that is chipping. Hope this helps.
Rob Roy.

wha

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 06:11:49 pm »
It is at the end of the board when it happens. I put 4 boards through today and it only happened to 1
of the boards. The board it happened to had a big knot at the end so I cut the chipped part of and finished planning the board with out it happening again.

Thanks for all the help.

SMF

Teknoromi