Author Topic: Spiral Blades  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
Spiral Blades
« on: October 30, 2011, 10:50:24 pm »
I used spiral blades for the first time in about 10 years. I started a portrait by stack cutting three 1/8" BB ply using #3 spiral (either Olson or FD). Way too many fuzzies. I thought it would speed up the work, but the sanding afterwards was too time consuming. I switched to a #1 FD-UR and was much happier with the outcome. To those that have mastered the spiral blades, I bow my head to you. I will try them again, but next time it will be on hardwood.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Spiral Blades
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 12:10:41 am »
I use nothing but #02 spiral blades and any fuzzies dissapear with just a swipe or two on a spinning sanding mop ;D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 12:52:45 am »
You got it girl...

I stack so that the bottom piece is a "throwaway" and if I can use it, that is a bonus.

2/0 FD New Spirals are my blade of choice!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 12:57:54 am »
My problem with the spirals is that they spiral all the way from top to bottom, then I have trouble either keeping them locked in or I have them locked in too tight and they break.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 01:03:48 am »
Marge,it takes a gentle touch. I can't tell you how to judge the way to
"clamp them suckers" but once you keep doing it and finally get it right it seems so easy and natural.
I have trouble now clamping a standard flat blade!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 07:52:44 am »
My problem with the spirals is that they spiral all the way from top to bottom, then I have trouble either keeping them locked in or I have them locked in too tight and they break.

Marg

Hi Marg,

Some blade manufacturers offer a flat end spiral.  I'm pretty sure Flying Dutchman is one of them.  The twists don't go all the way to the end, making it easier to fit them in the blade clamps.

You can also take pliers and untwist the ends a couple turns to get them flat as well, but that can be a little tedious.  I've had mixed results doing this, but I don't use a lot of spiral blades.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 10:03:04 pm »

Marg

If you can get them from Mike he has both in Flying Dutchman.
Gabby
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:26:09 pm by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 10:19:38 pm »
I tried the tourch method of getting rid of fuzzies on a recent project that I had cut with spiral blades. I had intended the bottom piece to be a throw away piece, but had wanted to try using a flame to burn the fuzzies. I was amazed how easy it was and how little burning of the project there was. Give it a try sometime, it might be worth it.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 11:22:50 pm »
Katie...just be sure to NOT use any sort of solvent on the wood before you "torch" them!!!!

I have read of some folks that used mineral spirits to remove the glued on pattern and then applied the torch a little too soon!

BOOOOOM!!!! Instant workshop fire!

~~~GB~~~

Terry Jackson

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 11:51:05 pm »
Regular spirals are a bear to get clamped.  The FD New Spirals clamp up a lot easier, and I believe the 2/0 is a NS size.  The flat end ones clamp ok.  Spirals are great for veining and such, but not so neat for large straight lines and curves or for exact corners.  YMMV.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 02:15:07 am »
We have a lady over here by the name of Helen Harris and she sells the same blades as Mike so I get blades from her.  Thanks for all the tips guys, the next time I have to try to use them I have more information in my little brain to help me along.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Dawie

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 05:21:02 am »
I too now like to cut with spiral blades sometimes. But please somebody help, anything smaller that #2 I break instantly especially while threading it. Any ideas! I tried the 0/2 ones and they cut great but after 2 threads broken. Now mainly use #3 and # 4 spirals.
David

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 08:25:37 am »
Hey David, are you top feeding or bottom feeding your 0/2s.  I only use 0/2s because of the small kerf.  I find they last longer if you bottom feed just because you are not hanging up on the wood since the teeth are pointing down.  I rarely break one.  It may just take some practice.  Keep trying.

Dawie

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 06:22:59 pm »
Hey David, are you top feeding or bottom feeding your 0/2s.  I only use 0/2s because of the small kerf.  I find they last longer if you bottom feed just because you are not hanging up on the wood since the teeth are pointing down.  I rarely break one.  It may just take some practice.  Keep trying.
Thanks Julie, by nature I am a bottom feeder so also did that with the spirals, maybe as you say it needs some more practice, well before I can do that I need to order some new ones. Need more blades so wil just include them in my order.
David

UHMNL

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 07:00:07 pm »
Hi Marg,
The Harris company is a dealer of mine. Great people.
FD Mike

SMF

Teknoromi