Author Topic: Tensioning On DeWalt 788  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
Tensioning On DeWalt 788
« on: May 10, 2010, 06:08:47 pm »
My tensioning lever doesn't seem to be getting the blade as tight as it once did. Is there an adjustment I can make to tighten it up.\
Thanks Gary
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Re: Tensioning On DeWalt 788
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 06:29:52 pm »
That is a very common complaint of the DW788. There are a few different things that can be going on. Try a couple things and see if they help. Get some alcohol and clean the top and bottom clamps. Also clean the ends of any blade you install. Sometimes oil from the manufacturing preocess gets on the clamps. If this helps that might be the problem

Next, Take some 220 grip sand paper and lightly rough up the points of the clamp that contact the blade. The extra friction can help a lot.

The next time you install a blade take a close look at how much of the blade is contacting the clamp. I have a reader that has told me he has a problem where only the back part of the clamp was contacting the blade causing it to slip. I am investigating that to see what might be wrong.

Adding extra torque to the clamps can strip out the threaded holes and make you have to replace them so try not to just use extra pressure.   

dankc908

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:20:56 am »
I had this same problem and went to Rick Hutcheson's website, http://www.scrollsaws.com/, and checked out the DeWalt Tune-Up.  I followed his instructions, to the letter, and voila my tension was now adjustable again.  This is a "must-see" website for anyone who owns a scroll saw!

Another idea is to put pressure on the top clamp while clamping the blade in.  That, also, helps.

Dan
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:22:37 am by dankc908 »

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 08:24:23 pm »
I just saw Rick Huthesons site and C/P his instructions about the 788.  Printing it now....all 19 pages.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Dan

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 11:27:23 pm »
Great site. I used Ricks instructions and it worked very well. Also I have found if the botton blade holder is set with the blade in tight and you push down on the top arm or blade holder before you tighten the blade on the top, the tension seems to require than 5 on the scale. Remember I have adjusted the tension rod inside the upper arm.

Dan

SMF

Teknoromi