Author Topic: Advice Please on EX-21  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Advice Please on EX-21
« on: October 18, 2011, 10:37:48 am »
I am looking pretty close at the Ex -21. was in the store yesterday and took my little square.  The blade is not perfectly square from front to back. is there a fix?  This is one of the reasons I am thinking about changing from my DeWalt 788.
I'm from North Dakota

canadasgall

Re: Advice Please on EX-21
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:53:46 am »
i had my ex 21 for 5 years never had a problem and SHE is worked hard. the only thing i had to change was my switch. i wouldn't hesitate to buy anouther one if need be.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 10:59:30 am »
Hey Judy, I don't have an Excalibur, But I do know that it is adjustable by loosening the screws or bolts that hold the motor on. You turn the motor slightly to make the adjustment.
Just so you know, I have reduced the front to back movement of the blade of my DeWalt saw by raising the back of the table. What I did is I removed the screw and nut at the back table mount. I raised the back of the table till mostly square to the blade on the front and back of the blade. For now I have used a clamp to keep the table in place, but I plan to make a new table mount so it is more permanent.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 10:59:59 am »
Is the blade on yours square front to back??
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 11:01:47 am »
Thanks DG,  I will look into that.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 12:28:03 pm »
I am looking pretty close at the Ex -21. was in the store yesterday and took my little square.  The blade is not perfectly square from front to back. is there a fix?  This is one of the reasons I am thinking about changing from my DeWalt 788.

Judy Steve bad has a video on how to make it square front to back....

I love mine ex-21 scroll saw lot better then the dw788 scroll saw but i wish it came with a light tho. but i guess i could get a led floor lamp. oh by the way the ex-21 is slower then the dw788 scroll saw
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:30:53 pm by cyberghost »
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

msdameng

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 12:43:20 pm »
Judy if your interested in trying to align the Dewalt
see the below post.  I attached a pattern for a
new bracket in the pdf file just above the picture.

http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=6666.msg60742#msg60742

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 01:14:28 pm »
Cyberghost, Judy: I bought the LED magnifier lamp from Seyco with my EX21.  It's a bit expensive but puts out the best light I've seen to date.  Mounts to the arm and doesn't shake.  My only "complaint" is that the on-off switch for it is mounted to the rear of the saw, a bit of a stretch to reach it, but I wouldn't be without this lamp.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 07:35:09 pm »
Hi, Judy:
You have probably heard me say before that I LOVE my Excalibur 21" saw.  When I had the DeWalt, I thought I would be happy with it forever.  But when it started to wear out and I began considering getting a new one, I heard many horror stories of the new DW's and the poor customer service. 

I made the plunge and got the EX21 and never looked back.  The difference is amazing.  Both my partner Keith and I believe we never cut better.  There is practically no front to back movement when adjusted properly (as was mentioned below, but turning the motor) and Ray from Seyco was great in helping us get it initially set up properly.  He usually sets these saws up himself before he ships them out, but since we were in Canada ours shipped directly from Tennessee. 

In any case, I don't think you will regret getting the Excalibur at all if you decide to do so.  Yes, it costs a little more, but the reliability and customer service alone is worth much more than the extra you will pay.  It makes cutting so much more pleasurable and fun when you have such an excellent machine to work with.  I don't think you will regret it. 

Let us know how you do!

Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Terry Jackson

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 10:47:32 pm »
A wonderful saw, and my go-to saw for bowls and fretwork.  Get a foot switch that has enough amp capacity to also control a box fan or two and a good light.  Seyco sells them or you can get them elsewhere.  Use the box fans with filters for dust control, one up and one down.  Step on the control and everything comes on together.

It is quiet, nearly vibration free, the stand is adjustable for height and also for front to back height.  The upper arm can be adjusted to stay up while you position the work piece or change a blade, or adjusted to always rest in the lowered position, your choice.  Top feeding is easy and the bottom clamps work well.  The gap between the upper and lower arms can be changed if you want to.  The blade is easy to square to the table and everything stays put.  For bowls and inlay you are working with a level table and not fighting gravity as your workpiece tries to slide down the low side. 

As Sheila notes the customer support is excellent.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 07:27:47 am »
Mine is an older model and older saw.  It has seen a lot of use over the last several years.  Zero complaints.  The very few issues that I have had with it were immediately and properly fixed.  Either by Ray at Seyco himself or by talking me through a fix over the phone.  I can't say enough good about the saw or the service.

grandpuppies

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 11:35:06 am »
Rick Hutcheson at http://www.scrollsaws.com/ has a good Excalibur tune up
bit. try it

SMF

Teknoromi