Author Topic: Patterns to wood.  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
Patterns to wood.
« on: October 11, 2011, 09:07:39 pm »
I am in the process of making multiples of one project and in place of using tons of paper to make patterns for each one I cut a pattern, multiple pieces, out of scrap and am tracing it and cutting. I really like cutting on the line on the wood better than the pattern glued to wood. Then it occurred to me that it would have been easier to just trace the pattern on to the wood using some type of carbon paper. What experience have you had doing this and is their a particular carbon paper that works better than others?
Gary
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: Patterns to wood.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 09:18:03 pm »
I have done that. When it is a simple pattern it works better, I don't have the patience for doing complicated things.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 09:21:11 pm »
I believe the black carbon paper is better than the blue
Jimbo

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:57:38 pm »
Yes I've used black carbon paper a number of times and it worked well, easy to see and easy to follow.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Waddawood

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 12:29:56 am »
I have always used carbon paper.  The darker the better.  I get mine online from Glen L Marine's website.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 12:52:22 am »
Personally, I don't like using carbon paper. I like the contrast of a thin black line on white paper. It works best for me.
Dan In Southern California

tux_linux

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 04:28:22 am »
carbon paper? that costs a lot of time. Also do you need to sand of the lines afterwards.

Gary, what wood are you cutting? can you stack cut it?

Waddawood

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 07:33:50 am »
Yes you have to sand some when done, but it's incentive to stay on the line lol.  It saves having to make a bunch of copies of patterns, getting patterns to stick and then trying to get the pattern off when done.  I don't know, just always done it this way, but whatever works for ya.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 08:31:58 am »
I use carbon paper often but if I am making multiple pieces, I make templates out of cardstock.  Those patterns I use over and over again are just easier to have a set of templates handy.  It is also easier if the pieces need to fit together, you can perfect you templates but using carbon paper, there is always a little difference in each one.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 08:37:28 am »
On patterns that are not too complex, I often make a template from thin scrap.  Masonite works great for this.  Rather than carbon paper, I also use graphite paper as it is more like a pencil line and easier than carbon paper to clean up.

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 11:13:56 am »
I always make templates using poster board and put them in folders for future use. It is easy to trace templates on wood and therefore I do not have to use carbon paper. The upside is that if I want to cut the same project at a later date I have the pattern in template form.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 12:14:45 pm »
I cut templates from thin plastic called shrink art available at craft stores
I'm from North Dakota

Offline glenn wouters

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 02:26:00 pm »
If i have to do a lot of scrolling the same pattern, like for an A-B-C-train,  i make a template of hardboard.
Thin wood, easy to cut, and i just trace the pattern.

Works perfect for me.

Glenn Belgium

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 10:44:47 pm »
Thanks all for your responses. Guess when all is said and done I'm just going to try all options and go with one. Up till now I have glued patterns and had no problem. It was just the fact that I was cutting so many of the same thing that got me off on not using so much paper and print cartridge. The wood is 3/4 inch so stack cutting is out for me. Again thanks for all of your input.
Gary
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

SMF

Teknoromi